Home      Previous Story      Next Story     View Comments      Post a Comment

N.Y.’s Ever-Changing Electorate: Next, the White Minority

AR Articles on the Demographic Transformation

Writing on the Wall (Aug. 2001)

Birth Rates: Who is Winning the Race? (Nov. 2000)

If We Do Nothing (Jun. 1996)

More news stories on the Demographic Transformation

Sam Roberts, New York Times, Sept. 13

Today’s Democratic primary is the prelude to a potentially revolutionary turning point in New York City’s traditional tribal politics: In November, for the first time, non-Hispanic whites are projected to constitute a minority of the voters in a mayoral general election.

The impact of the shift, coupled with changes wrought by term limits and public campaign financing, is already apparent in the choices voters face today. Polls say the front-runner for the Democratic nomination is Fernando Ferrer, a Puerto Rican raised in the South Bronx. Among his three challengers is C. Virginia Fields, a black woman who grew up in the South. William C. Thompson Jr., who is seeking a second term as comptroller, is black. And dozens of black, Hispanic and Asian candidates are competing for borough presidencies and City Council seats.

But rather than guaranteeing minority domination of New York government, the demographic changes have just made the city’s politics more complex. A surge of new immigrants — many of them not bound, like their predecessors, to the Democratic Party — has so diversified black, Hispanic and Asian voters that some of the monolithic blocs and natural coalitions once taken for granted among those minority groups no longer apply.

Non-Hispanic whites became a minority of the city’s overall population in the 1980’s, but still made up a majority of voting-age citizens, registered voters and, according to exit polls and other surveys, New Yorkers who actually turned out on Election Day. It is estimated that non-Hispanic whites were 52 percent of the electorate in the 2001 mayoral race and 51 percent of the city’s voters in last year’s presidential election.

“This is the first election in New York City history where the majority is minority,” Hank Sheinkopf, a Democratic political consultant, said.

Between 1990 and 2000, the number of non-Hispanic New Yorkers declined by 11 percent. The Hispanic population grew 21 percent.

According to exit polls, non-Hispanic whites made up 56 percent of the electorate in 1989, 55 percent in 1993, 53 percent in 1997 and 52 percent in 2001. They made up about 48 percent of Democratic voters in the 2001 primary and 47 percent in the runoff between Mr. Ferrer and Mark Green.

(Posted on September 13, 2005)

Top      Home      Previous story      Next Story      Post a Comment      Search

Comments

The white minority is going to get smaller by one very soon. Not too long ago I sold my single-family house for a ridiculous sum and moved into an apartment in a better part of Queens. But not for long. The writing has been on the wall about NY and in fact all cities and many suburbs across the country (mostly it’s graffitti). So I’m going where it’s still mostly white and I will pray that enough of us wake up to make a stand. Meanwhile one of the first things I’m going to do in my new locale is join my cousin’s gun club. She and her husband both say that membership is up. And soon it’s going to go up by one.

New York, once truly great town, we will miss you.

Mike from soon-to-be-not Queens, or

Mike from the real, Archie Bunker Queens which like
Brigadoon or Shangri-La is now only in our memories

(Who knows? Maybe she’ll rise again, but I doubt it).

Posted by Mike from Queens at 5:54 PM on September 13

The views of Mike for soon to be not Queens are disappointing. I am a white male, over 50, and “conservative.” I’m against affirmative action, against gay marriage, against active and intrusive government, troubled by abortion and a “woman’s right to choose” because medical science has made fetal viability possible earlier and earlier in a pregnancy.

I am also married to an Asian woman [for 35 years], and before marriage dated women from almost every continent and of every race [yes, even a woman who was part Native American]. My kids have experienced some prejudice, but not much. Being half “European” and half Asian they never got “preferences.” All of them went to college and graduate school, and all of them are successful in their professions. I grew up and have lived all my life in New York. I don’t like some of the social/economic/political trends, but to leave New York City because a majority of voters is non-white is ridiculous. I think the city has been better run [although there is a lot of room for improvement], and a better place to live, under Giuliani and Bloomberg than it has been at any time since I was a kid. I think it is better run, and a lot more interesting to live in, than any other large city in the U.S.

Posted by Michael Balung at 6:29 PM on September 13

“So I’m going where it’s still mostly white and I will pray that enough of us wake up to make a stand.”

hey mike from queens maybe this demographics map will help

Posted by Steve from cape canaveral at 6:56 PM on September 13

What is so very interesting about this paragraph, is that its author Mr. Roberts, is pointing out one of the critical errors (even if he grasps it or not) in the proponents of multiculturalism’s logic. What these Marxist freaks and bleeding hearted imbeciles have failed to realize, is that their dreams of a rainbow utopia where one and all skip about a maypole in communal harmony with each other, under the crib-to-casket socialist “leadership” of the Democrats, is never going to materialize. At the very best, all this band of ketchup-heads can hope for (from their point of view, as is such) is the establishment of a one party Democrat dictatorship, that vacillates between mollycoddling and brutal repression of competing racial and ethnic interests. Or put another way, their determined sanctimonious efforts to reeducate naughty and greedy whitey and free him of his so-called racism, while also reducing him to “just another minority,” have fallen quite short of their stated goals of a race-less and classless society.

The fundamental reason for this being, that they have spent the last 40 to 50 years doing the reverse with the nonwhites they have so champion as our country’s “salvation” in the “diversity is our strength” myth and the “universal nation” construct departments. Yes indeed, all are one and one is all, just so long as it comes at whitey’s expense. However, when you fail to realize that there is only so much of whitey and his largess to go around, things do get a bit sticky, do they not? Now all that nonwhites really have in common under such a idiotically conceptualized dictum, is that America (i.e., whitey) owes everyone else something because of its/his past and ongoing “racism” and “discrimination,” but just not what is exactly owed to whom and on what basis of assumed grievance? Thus, all of the Third World’s brothers and sisters who are now in our midst, and if it were only not for “racism’s” curse, would thrive and enrich us all, now seem to be at evolving political and entitlement loggerheads?

Jeepers creepers, go figure?

Now the punch line :

2018 or 2022, whitey is still around 62% to 57% of the USA’s population, hopefully?

Whitey has had several examples to ponder in regard to “enrichment” via the Third World and his minority or majority status, for a decade or better; these would include: California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Georgia, New York City, and perhaps the state of New York itself? What does he see?

Nothing but a bunch of squabbling and marauding parasites, that cannot and will not be appeased. If that does not wake up and galvanize whitey, nothing will! In the end, only time will tell?

God let it be so?

Or else, as always, God help us all!

Posted by John PM at 7:31 PM on September 13

New York will take it’s place in the roll of lost cities including Detroit, Watts, New Orleans, Oakland, East St. Louis.

Posted by Tim at 8:01 PM on September 13

New York will take it’s place in the roll of lost cities including Detroit, Watts, New Orleans, Oakland, East St. Louis,Cleveland, San Antonio

Posted by Tim at 8:22 PM on September 13

So, when are we going to stop calling them ‘Minorities’?

Posted by AvgWhiteGuy at 8:32 PM on September 13

Mike from Queens,

I had a lot of relatives that lived in Queens when I was a boy back in the 1970s — Astoria, Ozone Park, Whitestone. I really enjoyed the family trips we took out to Queens from Bergen County, NJ. I remember Queens was almost entirely White at that time — probably 85%.

I was in Queens on business a few months ago, and the transformation was astounding. Slobodan Milosevic couldn’t have done a better job of ethnic cleansing.

Unfortunately, running from the problem is only a temporary solution. Just as New York City went from White to Brown/Black New Jersey is not far behind, and the rest of the country will soon follow. Either we stop this soon, or there will be no place left to run to.

Posted by Mark from Jersey at 8:38 PM on September 13

God help New York!

Posted by AJ at 8:51 PM on September 13

‘Non-Hispanic whites’
O.K. What is that? White people?

Posted by jodie at 8:53 PM on September 13

We control the rural areas in every state in the union, including California.

The place for every white to be is in the countryside or a small town.

We surround every urban area that has a minority majority.

If you don’t know how important that is, review the scenes of New Orleans to see what happens when the water is contaminated and the power grids are rendered inoperative in an urban area to get an idea of what widespread civil war would mean in America.

Posted by Robert Kelly at 9:25 PM on September 13

Leave NYC & Los Angeles to the huge problems they created for themselves with their unbridled ridiculous immmigration and breakdown of maintaining community standards.

Both are also the media and advertising centers. Too bad we can’t wall them off. We can by separating from and living our lives around same type by design and keeping kids and grand kids away from the influence of those cesspools.

Posted by Alex at 10:13 PM on September 13

Tragic and sad to say, but Blacks reach a critical mass in a city, the main stream media and left-wing politicos then honor their fantasy victimhood rants at their every failure and then the city dies.

Then said Blacks move into another area to again destroy with the same sick cycle, surrounded by the same, groveling supporters in politics and in the aforementioned MSM.

I’ve now lived long enough to see two major cities and two smaller ones die from this phenomenon.

Posted by Proactive at 10:29 PM on September 13

It’s amazing that it took so long for this to happen. Whites have been the minority in NYC for many decades now.

Posted by Joe at 1:51 AM on September 14

There are one real good reason to move away from New York - its one of Al Quaedas primary targets, and one day they just might get their hands on a nuclear weapon.

2nd, regarding the number of remaining whites, see this amren issue: /0201issue/0201issue.html
As you can see, the number of “true (nordic) whites” is considerably less than the number of “census whites”. America is closer to implosion than you believe.

Posted by Dan at 2:12 AM on September 14

“I don’t like some of the social/economic/political trends, but to leave New York City because a majority of voters is non-white is ridiculous. I think the city has been better run [although there is a lot of room for improvement]”

Balung, you really don’t get it, do you? Read John PM’s excellent synopsis and think about it. To it I’ll add what my experience was living among third-worlders:

a)Diversity. Nope, didn’t happen. In the early ‘90’s some immigrants form Trinidad and Guyana began a systematic block-busting campaign in Richmond Hill. They bought up houses and then actually refused to sell to anyone but their own (on several occasions either I or one of my friends called up real estate offices to ask about houses. Without exception we (who were audibly white) were told the houses were sold, which we knew not to be true. None of us really could afford the time to make this a case with the DA and most of us, having children, moved out. Hispanics and other groups did the same in other neighborhoods. Still think this is a “gorgeous mosaic”?

b)Cultural enrichment. These same Indo-Caribbeans came into the nieghborhood with an increasingly open hostility towards us. Garbage and graffitti started appearing on the street. They would throw loud (with sub-woofers) parties every weekend with the intention of driving us out. In one incident a bunch of us called the cops (who try very hard despite limitations. Oh yeah, they’re white, mostly). The owner of the house was livid, but his friend consoled him “Don worry. We get rrid of de white peepol and den we do what we whant!”.

But it gets worse. One of my neighbors was an old man, a WWII veteran who had lived in that house with his wife since he got out of the service. All that time he was able to live in a clean, quiet, safe neighborhood surrounded by people who took the care of that neighborhood very seriously. He had heart disease. Well, some Trinidadians moved in next door and started with the parties and throwing garbage on his property. His wife pleaded with them, the cops could only do so much under the laws back then. The people of color didn’t care. Before he was able to move out he died. A GOOD MAN WHO SERVED HIS COUNTRY WAS NOT ALLOWED TO LIVE HIS REMAINING FEW YEARS IN PEACE!!! Think about that one, Balung, before smugly displaying your superior attitude here.

Mark from Jersey is right. An I’ve always decried white flight in the past but we also have to be practical, ESPECIALLY if we have children. Well, I’ve made my stand and I am frankly sick of it all. I’m not running. I just want to live in a decent place again among my own kind.

John PM,

Posted by Mike from Queens at 7:35 PM on September 14

The more the electorate becomes non-white, the further the

paramenters of what constitutes “left”, “centrist”, and

“right” shift to the left. In New York, Bloomberg would

have been considered ultra-left a short time ago. Now,

he’s the right-most candidate in the race.

Posted by Larry at 2:47 AM on September 15

Notice how the media ALWAYS say NY is better off now than in the 70s. That’s becuase MANHATTAN, where they live, was. The reality is that there were many more clean, quiet and safe neighborhoods in NYC back then. Giuliani may have cleaned up Times Square, but Queens, as Mike knows, was actually a nicer place when DAVID DINKINS was sworn in on the first day of the last decade, as frightening as that may be. Canarsie, Woodhaven, Rosedale, Woodside, Ozone Park, Flatlands,etc…when are we going to realize that this “citywide rebirth” is a LIE.

Posted by Refuting Disinformation at 2:47 AM on September 15

I forgot to add a third element, since I was a bit rushed:

c)Assimilation. Nope, that didn’t happen either. As an illustration I’ll just mention what happened to me on 9/11. I worked in the city back then and couldn’t get in. My TV was out except for CBS and I went to a friend’s house to spend the day watching the events. I knew that a very old and close friend of mine worked in a law office in one of the towers, so I was very apprehensive (I had lost touch a bit and subsequently found out that she had left that job only a month before. But I didn’t know that on that day). I called her house repeatedly but only got her voice mail and that made it worse.

When I got home that evening here’s how I saw all those wonderful new immigrants react to the tragedy: The few muslims around were actually celebrating. I walked to the superemarket and on my way back I saw a woman do a bit of a dance and when she saw that I was staring daggers at her she ran into her house. I heard a couple of men babbling elatedly in Arabic or Urdu or whatever. Some people on the other block had a little party going.

But the reaction from the Indo-Caribbean, predominantly Hindu immigrants was more surprising. They weren’t celebrating but instead were treating it all like a big joke. There they were sitting on their stoops like nothing took place and talking and chuckling. I even saw one guy bring his hands together in a splat type motion and his friends around him nodding and grinning.

All this while I thought my friend was dead.

Assimilation? Go to where the Sikhs are building a big temple (after the old church they were using was gutted by fire. Would it be surprising if they actually started it themselves? I don’t know, of course but…). Look at them walking around with their traditional garb and then suing the MTA so that they could wear turbans instead of safety helmets working in the subway. After the city folded they wouldn’t even consent to wearing the MTA logo on their turban. Yeah, tell us again about all that wonderful multi-racial harmony.

This is happening all across the country. And it doesn’t matter what group you’re talking about:Indians, Hmong, Somalis, Mexicans, Nigerians, Central Americans and every other third-worlder who fouled his own nest at home is now here fouling ours.

I’m leaving all that and going to where I have a great job waiting for me in an area that is like home used to be, and some people have the nerve to say that it’s “disappointing”.
Screw You.

Posted by Mike from Queens at 2:40 PM on September 15

To Mike from Queens, regarding:

“John PM,

Once again you’ve nailed it. I wish I were as smart as you. In fact if reincarnation is true then I’m going to put in an application to be you next time around, assuming you’ve vacated the premises.”

A very sincere thanks for your supportive observations and comments regarding my post. Hey, can’t argue with a guy for calling me smart; well, not unless madness is in fact the kissing cousin of intelligence? If you talked with some of my ex-girlfriends, they might confirm that speculation, but I digress (LOL!)

In any event, don’t sell yourself short; I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past and you hardly seem to be short on brain cells. Your responses to Mr. Balung and Mark from Jersey, were both logical and well written; no one can ask more from you than that!

As for be reincarnated as me, that might get a bit sticky? If that occurred, then I wouldn’t be me in the next life and I might end up being Morris Dees, or some other Communist weirdo like Jane Fonda? D’oh, as Homer Simpson likes to say (LOL!)

Best Wishes to you Mike from Queens,

John PM!

Posted by John PM at 6:44 PM on September 15

Mike from Queens,

I live in Manhattan, and have to say that, although I sometimes took comfort from the fact that “Mike from Queens” was just over the bridge, I’m happy for you. It will be interesting to hear your posts from your new home. Go in peace!

Astrid

Posted by at 6:40 PM on September 16

Astrid and John PM,

Thanks for the support. I wish you all good fortune as well.

Mike

Posted by Mike from Queens at 8:27 PM on September 16

This map shows you the best places for whites:

Posted by SaveAmerica at 7:28 PM on September 18

Astrid, the fact that you live in Manhattan and are posting here really made my day. (I feel more at “home” in Cape Town than I do in Manhattan…!) I always suspected it: not everyone in Manhattan is a brain-dead socialite obsessed with little more than career advancement and body hair defoliation. (But on the other hand, those things are just fine… being an AR reader is more important!)

Keep up the fight,