American Renaissance

Police Slow To Respond To Alleged Hate Beating

AR Articles on Racial Conflict
Ethnic Genetic Interests (Mar. 2002)
The Anatomy of Ethnic Conflict (Jun. 2002)
Search for Racial Conflict
More news stories on Racial Conflict
CBS, Feb. 3, 2007

The sister of one of three Hispanic teens who were allegedly attacked Wednesday by a mob of African-American youths yelling racial epithets criticized Inglewood police Saturday for an inadequate response to the beatings.


“The evidence was never looked for, they didn’t accompany them to the hospital, they didn’t ask for witnesses, they didn’t ask the people if they saw anything, no questions, nothing was asked,” Marisol said.

She said police did not begin gathering evidence — including earrings and hair clips at the scene — until Saturday, several days later.

Sgt. Gabriela Garcia, a spokeswoman for the Inglewood Police Department, which responded to the attack, said standard procedure was followed, but acknowledged that evidence was not collected until Saturday.

“We did take a report that day,” said Sgt. Gabriela Garcia of the Inglewood Police Department. “We did interview the victims and the report was filed. There are no witness statements in the report, however. It’s an ongoing investigation,” she said, adding a detective would be assigned to the case.

The initial police report did not lead officers to believe the attack may have been racially motivated.

Police said they discovered this Saturday when the victims spoke out about the incident during the news conference, she said.

The teen girls, all students at Morningside High, 10500 Yukon Ave, were walking home from school when a group of about 15 black youngsters yelled racial slurs and attacked them as they passed Inglewood High School, Marisol said.

She charged that the three teens were held down by the black boys in the group as three or four girls kicked and punched each of them until they lay bleeding on the ground.


The unprovoked attack continued in broad daylight until a passing woman threatened to call police and the assailants scattered, Marisol said.

Stephanie, 18, had to get stitches inside her mouth, which was badly swollen, Marisol said.

Laura, 17, had bruises on her arms, back and ribcage, she said.


Original article

(Posted on February 5, 2007)

     Previous story       Next Story       Post a Comment      Search


Home      Top      Previous story       Next Story      Search

Post a Comment

Commenting guidelines: We welcome comments that add information or perspective, and we encourage polite debate. Statements of fact and well-considered opinion are welcome, but we will not post comments that include obscenities or insults, whether of groups or individuals. We reserve the right to hold our critics to lower standards.

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)