Reuters, March 8, 2007
Nine immigrants from Mali, including eight children, died in a house fire after flames raced up the stairs, trapping people on the second floor, officials said on Thursday.
Twenty-two people from the West African nation lived in a wooden house that had been split into two apartments in the Bronx section of New York. The children ranged from infants to 10-year-olds.
The fire started around 11 p.m. and may have been caused by a space heater or an overloaded power strip, the mayor said. Fire fighters arrived on the scene within three minutes of receiving the call and extinguished the fire by 1 a.m.
(Posted on March 8, 2007)
Post a Comment