Investigators: No Evidence To Support Duke ‘Rape’ Accuser’s Story
|AR Articles on Hate Crimes and Hoaxes|
|More news stories on Hate Crimes and Hoaxes|
In a 21-page report outlining the findings of its three-month review of the case, the office said additional evidence uncovered during its investigation backed its determination that the accused players were innocent.
The report comes more than two weeks after Attorney General Roy Cooper dropped all remaining charges against former players Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans. Cooper declared the men innocent, saying they were victims of a “tragic rush to accuse” by Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong.
Nifong — who led the case for nine months before recusing himself amid ethics charges — dropped rape charges in December after the accuser changed a key detail in her story. He turned over the case to Cooper’s office in January.
In meetings with the accuser, state prosecutors said she “changed her story on so many important issues as to give the impression that she was improvising as the interviews progressed,” according to the report.
In addition, the accuser was under the influence of prescription drugs during a meeting with the special prosecutors earlier this month. According to the report, she had slurred speech and other mannerisms that were consistent with witness accounts of her behavior at the party.
[Editor’s Note: A PDF copy of the report “Summary of Conclusions” can be read here.]
(Posted on April 30, 2007)