Previous Story       Next Story       View Comments       Post a Comment

Retailer Denies Sign Is a Slur

AR Articles on Hispanic Immigrants
The Myth of Hispanic Family Values (March 2004)
Our Mexican Future (Mar. 2003)
Reconquista Update (Jan. 2002)
Pushing Out Whitey (Mar. 2000)
Documenting the Decline (Jan. 2000)
Closed Minds are an Open Book (August 1998)
Search AmRen.com for Hispanic Immigrants
More news stories on Hispanic Immigrants
Tom Ramstack, Washington Times, November 16, 2007

A Casa Furniture and Bedding store in Alexandria has been advertising easy credit with a twist: “no gringo papers” necessary.

A sign outside the store at the intersection of North Beauregard and King streets reads, “Credito sin papeles de gringo.” In English, that could be translated to say “Credit without gringo papers.”

Blanca Granados, the store’s assistant manager, translated the message to mean “just ‘without white papers,’ like Social Security or like that.”

Miss Granados said the store requires customers who purchase furniture on credit to fill out an application and provide personal documentation. The store will accept a passport as identification.

“Some people say, ‘You know, I don’t have a Social Security,’ ” Miss Granados said. “They can show their passport if they don’t have any other papers.”

The sign has been up for years, he said, but might strike a nerve now as the debate over illegal immigration intensifies in the local political arena.

(Posted on November 16, 2007)

Comments

It’s all over the place. Club Mexicano, Servicios Latinos, Clinica Latina, Abogado Hispano, Las Paginas Amarillas Hispanas, etc.

Think of the uproar if businesses posted signage like Anglo Club, Services for Whites, Anglo Clinic, White lawyer, and The Anglo Yellow Pages. It would be like nooses all over again.

Posted by underdog at 6:37 PM on November 16

People, DESCEND on this store in person, via telephone, and via email, and tell them EXACTLY how offensive you find their sign. Tie up their phones, tie up their fax, tie up their sales manager’s time, and complain, complain, complain.

Posted by at 6:44 PM on November 16

exactly, for “marketing” - basically she is promoting this idea of “us against them” - WAKE UP AMERICANS!

Posted by alex208 at 6:54 PM on November 16

Here is the information on the two Casa Furniture and Bedding stores in Alexandria, VA

Casa Furniture & Bedding - www.casafurniture.com
4618 King St, Alexandria

703) 931-8900

and

8123 Richmond Highway
Alexandria VA 22309

tel 703-340-4444
fax 703-340-4440

Posted by at 7:06 PM on November 16

For those here who want to see this story on another site and the “undocumented worker” coddelers, PLEASE go here:

Here, pompous gasbags abound.

Posted by CC in occupied Arizona at 8:13 PM on November 16

Well, ni**er is not necessarily an insult either, greaser.
Blacks use it all the time.

Posted by Paleonordic at 9:34 PM on November 16

I have already posted examples in the past of the intransigence,the ill will, the general bad feelings, that many Mexicans, especially, and some South Americans, have for this nation. I have heard many times personally, things like, “this land belongs to Mexico”(I live in California),”gringos are mean,” I hate white people”, “the post office where I live is no good, no one their speaks Spanish”, “Old Gringos”,etc.etc.etc. I have heard all of these phrases and more in California. Americans don’t get it. They do not understand the intentions of groups like Mecha, La Raza, Maldef, Lulac, and dozens of others. My point is, that it isn’t at all hard for me to imagine that the store owner used this phrase and used it to express his general disdain and hatred for white society. Can I be one-hundred per-cent sure? No I cannot, which brings me to the following thought; if Americans need one-hundred percent certainty, all of the time, and in every case where illegal immigration issues are concerned then forget it. We will lose this English speaking nation as sure as the sun rises each day. There comes a time to make up your mind and admit, that there are enemies among us. Period.

Posted by Bobby at 12:07 AM on November 17

In a few towns in central Illinois there are some restaurants called, I swear, “Taco Gringo.” They’ve been there for years and are owned by white people.

I’ve never seen any “Hispanics” in any of those towns.

Posted by YertleTurtle at 9:13 AM on November 17

And just how many illegal invaders are carrying passports with them?

Posted by ProudInfidel at 11:02 AM on November 17

I have a better idea for native born U.S. citizens living in the trading area of this furniture store. Go in and demand a truckload of furniture on credit (to be delivered to some slum address that has been secured for a week for the purpose of executing this plan) w/o having to present any “Gringo papers”.

Tell them that you work for cash as a roofer for some guy called “El Gato”, but that you really don’t know how to get in touch with “El Gato”. If they refuse, then make a Federal case out of it.

Then make a Federal case out of it if they refuse to do business with you. If you can speak Spanish, all the better.

Posted by Flaxen-headed Strumpet at 11:05 AM on November 17

“Michael Barrera, president of the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, said he was aware of the sign but said the way “gringo” was used is not necessarily an insult.

“I think it’s more for marketing,” he said. “Gringo is not always a pejorative term.””

Senor Barrera is either lying or just plain dumb. Neither one would surprise me from the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

To my knowledge, “gringo” IS always a pejorative term. It is apparently derived from “Green, go!” referring to the uniforms of US fighters during the Mexican-American war. If a slang term is (a) directed at an identifiable ethnic group; (b) based on the sentiment that said group should “Get lost!”; and © NEVER used affectionately, then YES IT MOST CERTAINLY IS PEJORATIVE.

And if Senor Barrera is still in denial about this, I refer him to the very first line of the Wikipedia entry for the G-word:

“Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a racist slur in the Spanish and Portuguese languages used in some countries of Latin America to refer to Caucasian foreigners from different cultures, particularly English-speakers, and especially from the United States…”

There you have it, Senor. The G-word is just as much a slur to whites as the N-word is to blacks or the S-word is to Hispanics.

You wanna keep using the G-word? Fine. Give us back the N-word and the S-word.

Posted by at 2:15 PM on November 17

Proudinfidel:
The passports can be obtained in any Mexican consulate

Posted by americanproud at 10:27 PM on November 17

To CC. I linked on the site you posted and read many of those comments. What is wrong with some of these people? It seems they want America to be taken over. Are some of those people of the White race? Or bi-racial? Sad.

Posted by at 1:19 AM on November 18

I might be mistaken, but when I was a little white kid in Mexico City getting things thrown at me to the shouts of “gringo, gringo!,” I had the vague impression that it was a pejorative. I think even on Amren people don’t realise how territorial and mean-spirited hispanics are compared to your average American or Canadian white. There are exeptions, of course- perhaps 20%.

Posted by at 5:44 PM on November 18

Since Michael Berrera says “gringo” is not a perjorative term, I must assume that he would not mind being referred to as a “greaser” by a white store owner.

Posted by Michael C. Scott at 5:03 PM on November 19

Shouldn’t we call the FBI about this hate crime??

Posted by Josh at 5:56 PM on November 19