Home       Previous Story       Next Story       View Comments       Post a Comment

Atlanta Public Schools Ban Saggy Pants

Bridget Gutierrez, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 10, 2007

On Monday night, Atlanta Board of Education members unanimously approved the change in the student dress code, which expanded a ban on “baggy oversized clothing” to include “sagging shorts or trousers.”

Board members decided to take up the issue after an Atlanta city councilman formed an indecency task force to investigate a possible law against showing underwear in public.

It will still be up to the principals of the district’s 96 schools to determine when there is a violation and what to do about it, spokesman Joe Manguno said.

(Posted on December 11, 2007)

Top      Home      Previous story       Next Story       Post a Comment      Search

Comments

Posted by St. Louis CofCC Blogmeister at 6:23 PM on December 11

I’m sure as soon as this ban goes into effect all of these “urban youths” will instantly become rocket scientists and start working hard in school and treating others with respect. I know whenever I pull my pants up, my I.Q. goes up by at least 10 points.

Posted by Conrad R. at 6:28 PM on December 11

Race notwithstanding, that such a move would even be necessary shows just how far this nation has fallen. Pathetic…

Posted by HH at 9:36 PM on December 11

Yeah, that will solve the problems plaguing Atlanta. All other majority black cities (Detroit, New Orleans, etc.) please take note…

Posted by ZKR at 11:55 PM on December 11

It is outrageous that the Atlanta Board of Integration is demeaning black culture with this ban. They must be a bunch of racists, or just embarrassed mulatto educators with advanced teaching degrees from government training school Fort Valley State.

Multicult Diversity demands that we celebrate black culture, not try to control its natural expression.

The black school children of Atlanta should revolt against this offensive, illegal, and intolerable intrusion into their self expression and cultural perogative.

Posted by mad as hell at 12:39 AM on December 12

“I have already stated before why government bans on saggy pants are constitutionally troublesome:

However, because this is a public school district setting rules for its students, they have a lot more leeway, and their actions are scrutinized using a far more generous standard (i.e. to the schools) by the courts.”

I fail to see how community based public decency laws could be unconstitutional. If they are then all public decency laws are unconstitutional.

Posted by Weißheit at 1:31 AM on December 12

How can blacks honestly attach the word culture to such things as baggy pants, bling bling, ebonics, rap music, grills, spinners, and a gangsta image? They can call it a lifestyle if they wish, but that lifestyle is about as uncultured as you can possibly get.

Posted by at 7:27 AM on December 12

As much as these sagging pants are “offensive” to mainstream America, I say to let the thugs show their disdain for civilized society. I makes them easier to spot and keep an eye on. Wouldn’t you rather be able to identify a future, or past, inmate than to have him dressed in a civil manner and able to walk up on you with your guard lowered? Much like I have learned to stay away from cats with orange and black stripes we call tigers, I have also learned to stay away from people with their belt lines at their knees, we call them thugs. You shouldn’t take your eye off of either.

Posted by Jeremy Douglas at 8:33 AM on December 12

Well, I think a company telling me I can’t have a full beard being a salesman is racist against white people, being that white men grow better facial hair than black men. I also think the higher tax system is an attack on whites, being that whites make up the majority of higher-income earners in this country.

Posted by at 9:33 AM on December 12

No sir, I do not agree with a ban on saggy pants.

My eyes are not as good as they used to be. I can read fine but my distance vision has suffered a lot.

I had rather see them at a distance, by their saggy pants, whether they are white or black. It would be better if their gang uniforms were all the same unique color, so we could easily identify them before they got too close.

Let them dress like circus clowns all they like. It just makes enemy identification much easier. I do not want them to blend into the crowd. I want them to stand out.

Posted by Don Reynolds at 3:05 PM on December 12

I always liked the baggy pants, when they run from the police they either have to hold them up with one hand or they fall down and trip the misguided youth.

Posted by cartman at 3:22 PM on December 12

I wonder if public decency laws would cover someone walking around with their underwear hanging out of their pants.

Posted by Spartan24 at 3:43 PM on December 12

I am amazed! I do not demean those in USA who wish to stagger around with their pants around their knees, but I do question as to why they do so. Is this to define their afro history, if so, how come no black afro in africa does this. If not, why not?? Must be something to do with slavery, abolished only last year, or have I got the date wrong or I am I missing something? Perhaps because I see no UK/USA black african condemnation of mugabe and his treatment of black africans in zimbabwe or the daily rape and slaughter of black africans by muslims in somalia. Ignorance or couldn’t care less? I won’t hold my breath.

Posted by yorkshireman at 6:04 PM on December 13

Naturally, when legislators in GA first proposed this idea, we heard cries of “racism.” Ironically, I once saw an episode of COPS in which a black male cop reprimanded a young black male who was walking down the street with his pants too far down but not doing anything else wrong.

Posted by Cindy at 7:46 AM on December 14

>>>Is this to define their afro history, if so, how come no black afro in africa does this. If not, why not??

Love your post, good friend YORKSHIREMAN! Methinks these outlandish dress codes might well be indicative of subnormal intellect. Or possibly to help mentally challenged youths recall their racial identity might bem, or something similar.

Your point of a lack of Black condemnation of tupenny African despots, whether by Blacks in the U.K. or America (U.S. and Canada) is well taken. Blacks are and have ALWAYS been their own worst enemies. So why then should they be expected to understand, much less admit this trueism — when the alternative, demonizing Whites and White culture is so much easier. Certainly to them, more fun! We keep hearing those fervent, shouted rabid denials of a supposed disparity in the GENERAL intellectual capacity of Whites and Blacks. While daily living. constant association and interaction with Blacks, regardless of one’s country, shows the diametric opposite to be true. Something simply “does not compute.”

Posted by Fed Up at 1:39 PM on December 14

Yorkshireman, of any other Brits reading this, do the black “youth” of the U.K. dress in clown clothes as they do in the U.S.A.? I am just curious. Thanks, and best wishes to you!

Posted by at 10:57 PM on December 15