Language: Allophones on the Rise

AR Articles on Canada
The Great White North (Mar. 1991)
Immigration and the Election (Dec. 2000)
Search AmRen.com for Canada
More news stories on Canada
Kathryn Young, CanWest News Service, December 4, 2007

For the first time ever, fully one-fifth of Canada’s population has a mother tongue that’s neither English nor French, Statistics Canada reported Tuesday.

The 2006 census report reaffirmed the Chinese languages as Canada’s third most common mother tongue group, with more than one million people — a growth rate of 18.5% since 2001 — reporting their mother tongues as Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese or four other Chinese languages.

Growth in the number of allophones — people whose mother tongue is other than French or English — was the most significant in Quebec, where their numbers expanded by 25% between 2001 and 2006, said Jean-Pierre Corbeil, chief specialist on language statistics.

The census also reported the number of Quebec anglophones grew by 2.7% between 2001 and 2006 — the first increase since 1976, when the Parti Quebecois’ election win prompted a mass exodus of anglophones.

While francophone numbers within Quebec increased by 2%, their overall proportion of the provincial population declined to below 80% for the first time since 1931.

But also for the first time, a majority of Quebec’s allophones reported adopting French as their main home language. With every successive wave of immigration, the adoption rate of French has increased, with 75% of the newest immigrants speaking French.

The statistics show that immigrants are strengthening the French language in Quebec, said Mr. Corbeil.

“It’s definitely moving toward French in Quebec,” he said.

While the 2001 census showed many francophones moving from Quebec to Alberta and B.C., that trend had reversed by 2006, said Corbeil. Pockets of francophones in other provinces increased due to immigration, especially in Alberta, B.C. and the Yukon.

Overall, Italian remained the fourth largest mother-tongue language in Canada, although its numbers declined, while German held onto fifth and Punjabi claimed sixth place with a 34.4% increase. Spanish, Arabic, Tagalog — the language of the Philippines — and Portuguese followed.

Canadians reported speaking more than 200 languages. Of the 10 largest allophone groups in Canada, Urdu (a major language in Pakistan and India) grew the most, increasing by 80% to 156,000 people in 2006.

Some 68% of allophones use English or French on a regular basis while 40% use an official language exclusively at home.

The longer immigrants are in Canada, the more they use an official language. Overall, nine out of 10 Canadians speak French or English most often at home.

While the number of anglophones and francophones grew, their proportion in the population fell as allophones grew to 20.1 per cent of the population in 2006, up from 18 per cent in 2001.

“It really shifts the balance,” Corbeil said.

The number of allophones increased at three times the growth rate of the population as a whole, mainly due to the fact that four-fifths of immigrants who arrived on Canada’s shores between 2001 and 2006 during that period were allophone.

Bilingualism increased, with 17.4% of Canadians able to converse in English and French. For anglophones, 7.5% of those outside Quebec are bilingual, compared with 69% within that province. For francophones, the rate of bilingualism is 35.8% in Quebec and 83.6% of those living in other provinces.

However, while bilingualism was slightly higher for children up to age 14, it declined amongst young people aged 15 to 19.

“The ability of young anglophones to maintain their knowledge of French as a second language appears to decline with time,” the report said.

Statistics Canada noted that its numbers on bilingualism amongst francophones could have been affected by an anonymous e-mail that circulated a month before the census data was collected, urging francophones to say they knew French but not English in an attempt to ensure the federal government would not cut services to francophones.

“It seems probable that the e-mail influenced some francophones in their responses,” the report said.

While 98% of Canadians can speak one or both official languages, English or French is spoken regularly at home by 94% of Canadians.

Just over one-fifth of Canada’s population spoke French most often at home, down from 22% in 2001, and in Quebec the number dropped to 81.8% from 83.1%.

Two-thirds of Canadians (66.7%) spoke English most often at home, down slightly from 67.5% in 2001.

Since the mid-1980s, with increased immigration and the tendency of most immigrants to have a non-official mother tongue, the share of the allophone population has risen rapidly, from 13 per cent in 1986 to 17 per cent in 1996 and now to 20 per cent.

Most allophones — 87% — live in a major city. Toronto claimed the highest proportion of allophones, with 44% of the population, followed by Vancouver at 41%, Montreal at 22%, Calgary at 23%, Edmonton at 21% and Ottawa-Gatineau at 17%.

Although allophones tend to live in the central areas of cities, more are moving out to the suburbs, and in three large suburban areas, they represent a majority: the Toronto suburbs of Markham and Vaughan, and Burnaby, just outside Vancouver.

(Posted on December 6, 2007)

Comments

“It’s definitely moving toward French in Quebec,” he said.
…………………………..

Who cares if the French language survives in Quebec, if the French people don’t? Is the language more important than the people? [Hint: a cultural Marxist would say yes.]

Also, I’m surprised to see no mention (at all) of Ukranian. I thought there was a very large number of Ukranians in Canada. Polish too. Perhaps they have all gone over to speaking English.

Posted by ghw at 6:34 PM on December 6

Before Canadians make up new words to hype their cleverness, they should check that the word is not already in established use among the rest of the English speaking world. This is the case herein: allophone is a term from linguistics, it means any of various acoustically different forms of the same phoneme. A better Canadian choice would be alloglot.
Although considering what is happening in Canada, I suppose English usage is the least of Canadian concerns. More important is whether to learn Cantonese or Mandarin.

Posted by at 6:39 PM on December 6

I watch a lot of Garden TV with my girlfriend. Yesterday I noticed something depressing. They were featuring Vancouver BC. and a Chinese couple was shopping for a new condo. What I picked up on was that the landscape looked Canadian, but all the buildings were some kind of high rises that could have been plucked right out of Shanghai or Singapore. I`ve seen the same thing in shows on Miami Beach also. The new buildings look more like they belong in Caracas or Sao Paulo than South Beach.

Posted by Tim Mc Hugh at 6:44 PM on December 6

Forgot to mention that people look at me funny when I tell them that ” Toronto Canada is China`s Hong Kong…” And they say, “Oh Tim You`re exagerrating!” And then I say, “Have YOU ever been to Toronto?!?”

Posted by Tim Mc Hugh at 6:51 PM on December 6

This doesn’t surprise me one bit. Chinese immigrants are as numerous in Canada’s biggest cities as they are in San Francisco. I used to live in Vancouver, and the enforced Asian diversity drove me out of the city. It sucks walking into shopping malls where everyone speaks Cantonese, nobody speaks English, and some people turn and stare at you as though you’re a parasite. They have a name for us white people - ‘guyjin’ (excuse my spelling) - which means ‘white devil’ or something close to that.

I have noticed that in small numbers, Chinese immigrants can be very charming. But in large numbers, they take over neighbourhoods and drive white people out. That’s happened in Markham, Ontario; Richmond, B.C., and Vancouver, B.C. They’re not typically violent; rather, they seek to drive whites out via psychological torture, as you’re made to feel you’re living in a foreign country where your fellow ‘countryfolk’ either don’t know you exist or act as though you’ve got leprosy. God help us if some stupid Canadian liberal politician proposes making Cantonese or Mandarin a third official language.

Posted by Matt at 9:33 PM on December 6

[In] Vancouver BC. a Chinese couple was shopping for a new condo. What I picked up on was that the landscape looked Canadian, but all the buildings were some kind of high rises that could have been plucked right out of Shanghai or Singapore.
Posted by Tim Mc Hugh
……………………………………..

That huge development that you were probably looking at, Tim, is owned by a Hong Kong billionaire and (as best I remember from when I was there last year) Chinese purchasers were given priority for the apartments. I believe there was a bit of distress about that among Canadians.

Posted by ghw at 12:28 AM on December 7

“They were featuring Vancouver BC. and a Chinese couple was shopping for a new condo. What I picked up on was that the landscape looked Canadian, but all the buildings were some kind of high rises that could have been plucked right out of Shanghai or Singapore.”

Fraser, Vancouver, Mackenzie, Cook. Would the great explorers have even bothered if they’d known that the descendants of the settlers who followed them into the Northwest would think that the resultant settlements could be improved by turning them into Asian refuges?

Posted by at 2:19 AM on December 7

That’s why we need to limit chinese immigration as well as for some other groups. They are not criminal but they tend to “take over” in large numbers. A small chinatown is quaint & nice but a whole city that’s chinatown, not so appealing.

Posted by realist at 2:45 AM on December 7

“They have a name for us white people - ‘guyjin’ (excuse my spelling) - which means ‘white devil’ or something close to that.”

Actually that can be either friendly or derogatory depending on the context. Like “laowai”.

All the terms for a black person in Chinese are hostile ones or insulting ones, though.

I’ve been to Vancouver and its a beautiful city, seems like a nice place to live. Never felt unsafe there once.

Posted by Benjamin at 12:34 PM on December 7

A Eurasian Canada is far and away superior to a mestizo USA or Muslim Europe.

Posted by Benjamin at 12:47 PM on December 7

“That’s why we need to limit chinese immigration as well as for some other groups.” — realist

We should learn from their excellent example and do the same.

Posted by browser at 1:56 PM on December 7

“The Chinese and other Orientals (all of them) were smart and had the right idea. They for centuries restricted, limited, or completely forbade the settlement of foreigners on their soil. They were determined to hang on to their countries — and, despite many setbacks, they DID! The Japanese were even atom-bombed and militarily occupied. Nonetheless, Japan today is still Japanese.”

China has 55+ minorities — and thats not even counting the differences between northern and southern Han Chinese. There are also an increasing number of Eurasians in China, particularly in Hong Kong. Japan has the Ainu and Koreans in addition to ethnic Japanese.

Posted by Benjamin at 3:40 PM on December 7

Lol I’ve had the same experience at the office, although its more linguistic than racial.

Most of the people here speak Cantonese and speak Mandarin. I don’t and would become extremely agitated when they did.

However I mellowed out. C’est L Vie.

A coworker of mine had similar feelings in China. Our factories are located in an area that speaks a dialect called Shanghainese, he couldn’t the people there when they used Shanghainese. It really bothered him. I didn’t bother me.

Ironically in sometimes you get better treatment in China when you use English. A former girlfriend of mine (who speaks fluent Shanghainese) and I went to Shanghai and met up with a friend of her’s.

When she used Shanghainese service people were sometimes extremely rude. However her friend (who spoke no Mandarin) used English and ironically was accorded far better treatment. Even though my ex spoke fluent Shanghainese we often used English at many of the nicer restauraunts!

Working in China and with Chinese people can even be quite difficult for Chinese people!

It almost reminds of dealing with Germans. Many foreigners complain about how difficult it can be to live in Germany. I’ve always thought the only thing harder than being a foreigner in Germany in being a German in Germany. At least being foreigner Germans cut you are given a small yet perceptible level of leeway in adhering to onerous set of rules that govern German society.

Germans do not have that luxury and are suppose to take all of their rules seriously.

At this point I would say living in a Chinese area in a predominantly Western country is probably a matter of adapting. Does it bother me that I can’t Gelatto in my neighborhood? Absolutely!

However its safe at 11:00 and I can get a bit to eat for under $7.00 without having to resort to Denny’s at that very same hour. There are certainly tradeoff and disadvantages associated with living in any environment.

However if an area isn’t dangerous and does have new resources then its probably adaptive to use that environment.

I know its difficult to explore new environments but that’s really the key to success. Explore and use what the environment gives you rather than complain.

There are always new frontiers waiting to be explored. Besides the only constant in evolution is change.

Posted by Yellow Man at 6:51 PM on December 7

Posted by at 10:23 PM on December 7

I’m sorry, I have to laugh when people suggest East Asian nations are somehow uniquely homogeneous. China has 55+ minorities — and thats not even counting the differences between northern and southern Han Chinese.
Posted by Benjamin
- - - - - - - - -
Doubtless so, Benjamin. But where did I say China was “homogeneous”?

They are not IMMIGRANTS to another country. They are not from overseas..

Posted by browser at 11:51 PM on December 7

A Eurasian Canada is far and away superior to a mestizo USA or Muslim Europe.

Posted by Benjamin at 12:47 PM on December 7

In what way? Seriously. It might not be bad but it won’t be Canada or the west for long. The things that differentiate Canada from China or Korea will slowly disappear with the white population. Culture follows race. Unless you live in Singapore or Japan and LOVE it, think it’s superior and want to stay there the rest of your life, a Eurasian Canada cannot be a good thing. btw the whites (men only) who like Japan only really like it as they are a racial ‘celebrity’ there; if they were treated the same as a Japanese they would be on the first plane home.

Posted by No more please at 2:27 AM on December 8

Benjamin: You need to distinguish between ETHNIC minorities and RACIAL minorities. Koreans and Japanese are not NEARLY as visually distinct from each other as say, blacks and whites.”

Don’t tell them that! One of the Japanese ministers said something along the lines once of “When you see a Korean, think rapist”.

“These people were ALREADY THERE. Where are they going to go? They are Asians too. They are in their homeland.”

“Unless you live in Singapore or Japan and LOVE it, think it’s superior and want to stay there the rest of your life, a Eurasian Canada cannot be a good thing. btw the whites (men only) who like Japan only really like it as they are a racial ‘celebrity’ there; if they were treated the same as a Japanese they would be on the first plane home.”

I can’t say anything about Japan but I’ve lived in Singapore and Hong Kong before. I’m a mixed (White+Chinese) but I’ve never had any racial animosity directed towards me either there or in the west except from a few cranks. You *can* have a successful multi-racial society, ex. Singapore and Hawaii. It just depends on what kind of races you get there.

I’m with you that our current immigration policy in North America is stupid. Taking the refuse of other countries is not what I have in mind. But if PhDs, doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc want to come here they should be welcome. I’d rather have an Indian rocket scientist working for the American space program than working for the Indian space program, wouldn’t you? Or would you rather lose a brilliant rocket scientist to a foreign country because he doesn’t look like you?

I’m very sympathetic, however, towards limiting immigration to European nation-states. But the USA and Canada have been multi-racial settler societies since the Europeans started settling here. Nothing short of wide-spread violence or ethnic cleansing would change that, and surely you don’t advocate that approach?

Posted by at 1:42 PM on December 8

I’ve lived in both Singapore and Hong Kong. I never had much racial animosity (if any at all) directed towards me. FWIW I’m mixed Chinese+White American.

You *can* have successful multi-racial societies, you just have to have races that have high IQs and can put good societies together. I don’t think the Whites that live in Singapore or Hawaii are fleeing from those places in horror.

I’m sympathetic to closing off all immigration to European-nation states. But the US and Canada aren’t, and really never have been “nation-states”. Ever since European settlers landed here they have been multi-racial. I’m for closing off unskilled immigration completely, but if PhDs, bankers, and rocket scientists move to North America I think its a net plus even if they don’t look like me.

As for Canada looking like South Korea or Japan, it won’t. It would probably look like something in between, as the culture here changes immigrants as well. European culture will not be wiped out of North America.

Posted by Benjamin at 3:15 PM on December 8

“If we’re going to use that standard, you sure as hell aren’t in your homeland, either.”
- - - - - - - - -
I was well aware of that possible argument when I wrote my post.

But you are talking about a home continent. By that standard, you Asians who are here aren’t in your home continent either.

European explorers came here to a largely unpopulated wilderness continent, not a country, and created a COUNTRY where there had been none — nothing but forest or desert. No, we did not create the continent of North America, and we don’t claim to (any more than Chinese created Asia), but country known as the United States of America is our homeland — and our creation.

“the USA and Canada have been multi-racial settler societies since the Europeans started settling here.”

Not really. Unlike the Spanish cononies, racial mixing was disapproved. This has been the case only since 1965. Even American Indians became US citizens only around the First WW, when if was discovered that they could be used for military conscription and taxation. (No income tax before about then.) Many of them didn’t want citizenship for exactly those reasons.

You obviously are not old enough to remember before 1965. But anyone who does, knows that the USA was always considered (for all practical puposes) to be a white country. Yes, we had a few minorities here — small and generally well behaved. They were tolerated and treated well. But like guests in someone else’s house, everyone knew who was the owner.

Don’t believe me? Just look at cultural artifacts like old movies and literature. Look at the opera Madame Butterfly, to see who was considered to be (and not to be) an “American”. Butterfly is a particularly good example because it was written through the impartial eyes of a foreigner, Puccini. Lieutenant Pinkerton had a brief fling with Butterfly while far from home and subject to natural temptations. But, concerned for her though he was, he did not marry her and bring her back to the USA. He returned home and married his American sweetheart, Kate. Asian war brides did not come into vogue until after 1945. Even then they were viewed askance. Before that, it would have been taboo, and Pinkerton would have been ostracized by his own.

Posted by browser at 5:28 PM on December 8

That only works if your entirely of British origin and had ancestors present here in 1776. I doubt you do, that seems to be pretty rare among white Americans. Most came in through Ellis Island.

Since 1492, there have been three races present on American soil. I said nothing about “mixing”. Anti-miscegenation laws doesn’t change the fact that this was not a mono-racial country. The United States was never like Iceland.

I just want an honest answer to this question. I have an IQ of 135, I’m currently studying international finance in graduate school. I was an AP scholar in high school. I’ve never in my life committed a crime beyond jaywalking.

Now, do you think people like me are really a huge net drain on American society because we look different? Would the country be better off if you lost people like myself to Singapore or Taiwan?

Posted by Benjamin at 9:51 PM on December 8

Benjamin: What you say is a falsehood. In 1960 Canada was 98.9% White and America almost 90%. That sure doesn’t sound very “multiracial” to me. You are clearly engaging in self-serving revisionism here.

Posted by at 11:58 PM on December 8

Benjamin;

You are quite wrong. Most White Americans are not descended from Ellis island immigrants. Also, I personally prefer my own kind. I would personally prefer White neighbours. You sound like you want the congressional medal of honour for your good behaviour. Newsflash. Good behaviour should be EXPECTED, not rewarded. If I was living in Japan, Singapore etc, I would be on my VERY BEST behaviour. I am a guest in a foreign country that owes me nothing.

Posted by at 1:48 PM on December 9

“What you say is a falsehood. In 1960 Canada was 98.9% White and America almost 90%. That sure doesn’t sound very “multiracial” to me. You are clearly engaging in self-serving revisionism here.”

Exactly right. American immigration policy from 1790 to 1965 was explicitly designed to maintain a European population. That there were non-whites “on American soil” is of no relevance to this question.

“Now, do you think people like me are really a huge net drain on American society because we look different?”

Wrong question. Why do we need millions of you when we built a perfectly fine country in the near-complete absence of Asians? Why has “multicultural” America declined in virtually every category of statistical measure, if the presence of huge populations of non-whites is so desirable?

Posted by at 2:56 PM on December 9

“Lastly, who would you rather have as a next door neighbor? Me, or a typical sub-85 IQ pure White from Jerry Springer?”
Posted by Benjamin

The answer is obvious, of course. But the question is skewed. What you offer us is a false comparison. You can’t compare the best of one with the worst of another.

Posted by at 1:21 PM on December 10

@ benjamin: as far as chinese racial minorities.. are you referring to the uyghurs in xinjiang? oh yeah.. there is a genocide program being directed against them at the moment. or maybe the ethnic minorities you are referring to are the tibetans? oh wait… there is a genocide program directed against them. the koreans in japan? i lived in japan.. koreans make up less than one percent of the population. the ainu did you say? they have been entirely wiped out by a holocaust program. the few surviving members are people with a very small percentage of ainu blood. north east asians have a hell of alot more blood on their hands then even the nazi’s did. they just do it more quietly. but in the long term, they have no intention of associating with europeans or any other race. they are basically racial supremacists in the exact sense of the term. most white people that are accused of being “racists” are actually nothing more than people concerned with their cultural heritage. while north east asians more closely resemble what you think as “nazi’s”. if you want to see what opportunities will exist for european americans in any city that has been overrun by asians.. take a look at tibet.

Posted by Yamato Damashii at 1:24 PM on December 10

Well, I see it done all the time on this site.

@Yamato

I’m not here to defend the policies of the Peoples Republic, which most overseas Chinese positively despise.

Tell me again about the mass exodus of whites fleeing Taiwan, Singapore, and Hawaii.

If you’re going to use the IQ/crime argument about immigration, it works against blacks and Mexicans but utterly falls apart against Asian or upper-caste Indian immigration.

Posted by Benjamin at 2:45 PM on December 10

Benjamin:

You again miss the point. Are perhaps emotionally incapable of understanding the truth. Nobody EVER ASKED Canadians if they wanted a non-White Canada. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps the White people living in Richmond DIDN’T WANT to be flooded with Asians and lose the cultural character of their city? Canadians never voted on changing the immigration laws and were never asked. If asked they would have said no. Canada pre-1967 was a fine, safe country. It wasn’t broke don’t fix it.

Posted by at 8:46 PM on December 11

“Tell me again why Richmond, British Columbia is so scary? Is it the high land values? The low crime rates? The booming economy? I guess you would rather live in a West Virginia trailer park than there huh?”

Nobody has called it scary. Again, you’re making a false comparison. Was Richmond ever a “West Virginia trailer park” to begin with? Did it have high crime and a wretched economy until the Chinese arrived and rescued it from its depravity?

Posted by ghw at 8:29 PM on December 12

I left, forever, the multicultural hellhole of Toronto because I felt like a foriegner in my own country. I moved to a community that is 98% White, the same general stat that used to represent Canada as a whole
Benjamin- as was mentioned here, Canadians were NEVER asked if they wanted a non White Canada.
Unfortunatly, in the political climate that exists in Canada at this point in time, that question is absolutly forbidden.
Nevertheless, the “white flight” from multicultural utopias like Toronto suggest, rather strongly, that we (Whites) do not desire an enviroment saturated with non Whites- even “well behaved, high IQ ones” such as Benjamin believes his bretheren are. (I suggest you go to the humongous Chinatowns-note the plural-and smell the stinking rotting fish, and the organic refuse that clogges the gutters. And please don’t forget the joys of the Chinese gangs that infest the area.)
Despite White Canada’s dismaying passivity in the face of their own disenfranchisement, I think it is safe to say that we NEVER wanted to be a Asian, Black, or East Indian nation. Our socialist utopian multicultist elites decided this for us- starting with the destestible marxist Pierre Trudeau in the mid 1960’s.
Canada is a socialist state. It corrupts it’s own history, indoctrinates it’s rapidly dwindling White majority that their dispossession in the country that their forebearer’s created is a good thing, and views any expression of White self interest or even White identity as an evil to be wiped out. In short, while many of the poster here seem to think Europe or the U.S is a “canary in a coal mine” for the future of the White world, the best indicator has got to be the rapid and total dismantling of the historicaly White nation of Canada.
And I’m sorry Benjamin- I really don’t want to live around you or any other “minority” where you exist in any sizable amount. I moved from my birthplace to get away from you and the racism directed at me as a white man- in a country that was created by White men!

Posted by White Canadian at 2:20 AM on December 13

I am a European-American, with ancestry from (Montreal) Quebec. It’s terribly sad that my French-Canadian cousins are losing their country.

Posted by at 3:40 AM on December 14

I used to go up every six weeks to Vancouver BC while my grandparents were still alive. The last time I was up there was in 2001. The statistics that show that Chinese speakers have grown 18% - almost a quarter (I’m rounding up for emphasis sake) in the six years since I was last there. I thought the Chinese population in that city was excessive then.

The white live-in manager of the apartment building my Dad now owns there has a young daughter who went began attending grade school at the local elementary. She was the virtually only white native English speaker in her class. Her first year an English speaking East Indian girl showed up plus some white boys from New Zealand but the parents of all of them yanked their charges out of class when they started complaining of how the dominant Chinese kids would bully them. The manager’s girl was pulled out soon afterward and trasnferred to a school where the Chinese are only a quarter of the student body are Chinese and all the rest of the kids are from English speaking homes (don’t know about the ethnic balance off-hand). Long story short, now the daughter is thriving after being taken out of the multi-cultural experiment and switching schools. Amazing how that happens.

Posted by at 6:42 AM on December 17