So Long ‘Swanee’

AR Articles on the War on White Heritage
The War on White Heritage (Jul. 2000)
Is a Multiracial Nation Possible? (Feb. 1992)
More news stories on the War on White Heritage
Bill Cotterell, Pensacola News Journal, December 12, 2007

Three ballads with images ranging from alligators sunning themselves in swamps to rockets roaring into space made the cut Tuesday for a showbiz-style online competition to replace Stephen Foster’s antebellum nostalgia for the “Old Folks At Home” as Florida’s state song.

The choices by a panel of six musicians and teachers hit a sour note with some history-minded songsmiths who attended a formal announcement by two legislators at the Capitol. But state Sen. Tony Hill, D-Jacksonville, and Rep. Ed Homan, R-Tampa, said they will offer legislation to replace the old ode to the Suwannee River with one of the three tunes posted on the JustSingFlorida.org site for a public vote.

Hill thanked Gov. Charlie Crist, who supported the search for a new ong and declined to have the familiar “Swanee River” song sung at his inauguration.

“What we’re doing here is sunsetting our prior song,” Homan said. “It’s a memorable song but it’s a memory of the way Florida was, and the new song will be the way Florida is.”

The ballad has been controversial for several years. The state long ago dropped some of the slavery-era dialect from Foster’s original lyrics, but secretaries of state and legislators have often tried for a modern replacement — sparking resistance from some Floridians but mostly apathy among risk-averse lawmakers.

The winner will be announced Jan. 11 at the Florida Music Educators Association convention in Tampa.

(Posted on December 13, 2007)

Comments

History = Culture; how un-PC can you get?

Posted by at 6:27 PM on December 13

I hope they choose a Cop Killer Rap Song that we can all proudly sing with our hearts. How about Money For Nothing And The Chicks Are Free.

Posted by the Soviet Republic of New Jersey at 6:53 PM on December 13

I have emailed and repeatedly called Charlie Crist’s office asking why he wishes felons to vote and why he also strongly panders to special interests, especially minorities. He has answered none of my inquiries and his aides keep telling me “He will, he will.” Charlie Crist stinks and he will never, ever get my vote again. I’ll vote for Al Sharpton before I’d vote for Crist. Sharpton stands taller than Crist in my book any day of the year.

Posted by GetBackJack at 6:55 PM on December 13

Posted by Eric at 7:02 PM on December 13

An increasingly dangerous, third-world wasteland?

Posted by Florida Falters at 7:43 PM on December 13

As a life long Florida resident, born and raised, I can only sit back and wonder where our common sense has gone. These fools think that the rest of us have to sit by and watch a treasured song be labeled as racist are a testament to a lack of common sense. I don’t know where the Florida went that I grew up in during the 70’s and 80’s, but I sure don’t like where it is heading. I have moved out of Orlando (due to Orlando’s wonderful rating ABOVE Baltimore as a dangerous city to live in) to along the east coast of Florida, praying for no hurricanes. I have seen this song issue come up and cannot figure out just what the “authorities” see as racist in the song. These people must have forgotten the whites that fought in a war that ended slavery. (not as the goal of the war, but one of the ending effects)They must have forgotten the Jim Crowe laws that affected my white ancestors unfairly. There was a time, my Father told me, when the whites and blacks were separate and kept to themselves- respectfully. You were a reason for concern if you were black in a white area and -yes, a concern if you were a white in a black area. Reading this article and the stupid news about Wesley Snipes being worried about Ocala being racist are in themselves ludicrous! Ocala is known for horses and livestock more than anything else and a true Floridian can tell you that! Guess I will silently mourn the passing of this beautiful song, as the whites are too passive to do anything about it and I am but one person trying to fight a league of loonies. I still think we should start our own chapter of the NAACP- The National Association for the Advancement of CAUCASIAN People! Then we could elect Jared Taylor as OUR respresentative!

Posted by jenbelievsinwhites at 8:19 PM on December 13

The Orwellian ethnic cleansing of our historical memory continues unabated.

May those who so heartily sell our heritage out, Republican and Democratic traitors alike, be seared in our memories and the public record. Their rationale for bidding adieu to the ode hits a “sour note” too.

Posted by Voir Dire at 8:54 PM on December 13

I’m so glad I remember a better time, and sorry that my great-grandchildren will never know a proud and better nation. Sadly, they will inherit a multicultural wasteland.

Posted by Junr at 3:15 AM on December 14

“I have seen this song issue come up and cannot figure out just what the ‘authorities’ see as racist in the song.” (Posted by jenbelievsinwhites at 8:19 PM on December 13).

After six months of being educated by this site, I now understand that “rhyme or reason” has absolutely nothing to do with these kind of changes. The changes are made simply because enough pressure is brought to have them made, or enough pressure has been brought in similar cases to scare officials into preemptively making the changes.

Why the pressure for the changes? To keep “whitey” down. It requires constant attention, as did the implementation of a similar maxim (but aimed in the opposite direction) in the once gloriously segregated South.

Posted by H. Dumpty at 3:15 AM on December 14

“As a native Floridian, I say that’s correct. With the staggering (black) crime rate in the big cities this song really doesn’t have much to do with the state now. Plus the hordes of illegals that have invaded the Sunshine State really don’t understand the words anyway.”

How about ‘La Cucaracha’?

It sure as heck beats out Judy Garland sing “Oh, my honey-lamb, down in Alabam’….

ummm, yeah, right.

Posted by AlmostMusicPhD at 8:05 AM on December 14

These issues can no longer be solved by the vote. The traitors at the top of this socialist dung heap,will sell us out . Our own people are the most dangerous. A South African standard of living is in our future. Or maybe Zimbabwe?

Posted by Ian MacGilleon at 10:31 AM on December 14

Communism 101 clearly states that before one can successfully force a totalitarian future upon a free people one must first destroy their past…

Posted by at 11:00 AM on December 14

A song depicting the Florida that is…

Great idea! How about some hard-hitting lyrics about Southern Florida’s multi-cultural crime! Gang fights between Black and Hispanics. Lyrics about jealousy between Haitians and Cubans in the Little Havana area? Lyrics espousing the decline in Southern Florida’s tourism industry. Hey, toss in a stanza or two about Black thieves ripping FEMA (taxpayers) off in the aftermath of those hurricanes a few years ago.

Have our politicians finally gone completely mad? Caving in to the utter absurdity we call political correctness. Before the 21st Century closes, we’ll probably be teaching that Black explorers passing throughout Europe brought civilization, knowledge and technology to primitived White European Barbarians. Aided of course by Chinese, Japanese explorers who brought so much cultural enlightment to lift Europeans out of feudalism. Not forgetting, of course, that all that help, all those unselfish gifts of knowledge and leanring to White people, were perversely labeled by history as being the work of White racists!

Duh, what was the name of that Lewis Caroll children’s book — where everything was the opposite of the real world. Wrong was right, Darkness was Light, etc., etc. You know, that fine little book that eventually became the “bible” of politically correct thinking!

Posted by Fed Up at 1:19 PM on December 14

I guess we have to get to the point whereby former slave-practising states are given new African names, like the renaming of Rhodesia, for Whites to understand the gravity of what is being done incrementally and what is at stake. Of course, it will then be too late…

Posted by Voir Dire at 4:24 PM on December 16

I am amazed at the undeserved credit whites give to blacks for all the problems they cause and the demands they make. It’s not black coming up with all these uppity idea’s they would be happy just to get free food and housing in a hut somewhere. The people who should be blames are the white liberal idiots who dream this stuff up for them

Posted by Conway at 4:53 PM on December 17