Home       Previous Story       Next Story       View Comments       Post a Comment

New Jersey Weighs Becoming First Northern U.S. State to Apologize for Slavery

AP, January 1, 2008

New Jersey lawmakers begin considering this week a measure that would make theirs the first northern U.S. state to offer an expression of regret for slavery, an institution that one Republican lawmaker said blacks today should remember led to their becoming Americans.

The resolution, which is to be discussed in a state Assembly committee on Thursday, expresses “profound regret” for the state’s role in slavery and apologizes for the wrongs inflicted by slavery in the U.S. If approved, it would make New Jersey the fifth U.S. state to offer a similar apology or expression of regret for the institution that served as a catalyst for the U.S. Civil War, the only war to be fought on American soil.

“Who living today is guilty of slave holding and thus capable of apologizing for the offense?” asked Republican Assemblyman Richard Merkt. “And who living today is a former slave and thus capable of accepting the apology? So how is a real apology even remotely possible, much less meaningful, given the long absence of both oppressor and victim?”

Another Republican, Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll, said Democrats should start by asking their own party to apologize, noting the historic Republican opposition to slavery.

“But, on a current note, if slavery was the price that a modern American’s ancestors had to pay in order to make one an American, one should get down on one’s knees every single day and thank the Lord that such price was paid,” Carroll said.

History “is not something for which anyone can — or should be expected to — atone,” said Carroll.

“To the extent that America — or New Jersey — ever owed any kind of debt to anyone, that debt was more than repaid through the blood and suffering of 650,000 federal soldiers who died or were wounded during the war provoked by slavery,” Carroll said, referring to the Union Army’s losses in the Civil War, which pitted the North against the Confederate South between 1861-1865.

“No one today need feel the slightest guilt, as no one today participated in the wrong.”

New Jersey’s measure, which expresses “profound regret for the state’s role in slavery and apologizes for the wrongs inflicted by slavery and its aftereffects in the United States of America,” is set for a Thursday hearing by the Assembly Appropriations Committee. It has not received Senate consideration, but must be adopted by Tuesday when the legislative session expires. The measure does not require gubernatorial action.

According to the proposal, New Jersey had one of the largest slave populations in the northern colonies, was the last northern state to free slaves and was the last northeast state to abolish slavery, doing so in 1846. It also allowed authorities to return runaway slaves to their owners.

No state has offered reparations to slave descendants, and New Jersey’s measure states that the resolution cannot be used in litigation.

(Posted on January 2, 2008)

Top      Home      Previous story       Next Story       Post a Comment      Search

Comments

“It states that in New Jersey, “the vestiges of slavery are ever before African-American citizens, from the overt racism of hate groups to the subtle racism encountered when requesting health care, transacting business, buying a home, seeking quality public education and college admission, and enduring pretextual traffic stops and other indignities.””

Once again THE BIG LIE! In fact, the EXACT INVERSION of the truth!
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — -

That reminds me of a remark that was very casually made to me by a black female co-worker: “Of course, WE don’t get the same kind of heath care that YOU do.”

How ridiculous! I am supposed to be such a privileged a white male!!! Well, I belong to the very same health plan that she does. I pay the same, and I get EXACTLY the same health care that they do — and nothing better. Whatever gives these blacks the notion that whites automatically get the best of everything? I wait in line and take my turn the same as them. Nobody rushes to take care of me the moment I enter the door. I don’t go to the head of the line. I’m just another patient.

They imagine themselves forever the oppressed. And no matter what we have, they are jealous of it.

Posted by at 2:20 AM on January 8

“I have more respect for those thug kids than I do for the idiots in the New Jersey legislature.”
Charles B. Tiffany

…………………

It’s hard to choose between respect for thugs or support for idiots. Hairsplitting really. Why choose at all? C.Tiffany often takes an unorthodox stance on things, but I think Voirdire addressed this very well in her post. I used to think she and I had only one basic area of disagreement. Now I’m doubting even that one. Thanks, Voirdire. You said it well.

Posted by ghw at 1:45 PM on January 7

Apologizing for what long dead others did in the distant past is a symptom of insanity akin to a lunatic conversing with the voices he hears in his head…

Once again THE BIG LIE! In fact, the EXACT INVERSION of the truth!
The only OVERT racism is BLACK and LEFTIST racism targeting WHITES. It PERMEATES the public schools and universities. A perfect example is New Jersey’s last “Poet Laureate” (with $10,000 taxpayer stipend), Amiri Baraka, who was then hired by the Newark Public School District: https://www.discoverthenetwork.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=2171

And in New Jersey, as throughout the country, interracial violence is almost exclusively black on white. And it TYPICALLY involves racial animus and slurs.

Remember that it was in New Jersey that after black supremacist groups like the NAACP complained that blacks were being subjected to traffic stops and tickets disproportionately, that a systematic objective study was done, including remote camera shots of who was speeding, and it was PROVEN that blacks DISPROPORTIONATELY VIOLATED TRAFFIC LAWS, including speeding, and received tickets IN PROPORTION to their violation of traffic laws. THERE WAS NO RACIAL BIAS.

As far as racial discrimination, it is WHITES who are subjected to systematic institutionalized discrimination in every sphere of life. It is WHITES who are automatically rejected for college admissions with SAT and ACT scores that AUTOMATICALLY ADMIT blacks. It is WHITES denied a plethora of scholarships reserved ONLY for blacks. It is WHITES who are denied internships reserved only for blacks. And on and on.

The link below deals with incidents of slaves being held in Cape May.
This seems to be isolated to that city and, in my opinion doesn’t constitute a reason for an entire state to apologize.

Posted by at 6:17 AM on January 5

Instead of wasting time and tax dollars on a apology for slavery it seems to me that the money could be better spent on fighting the never ending crime committed by the descendents of the slaves.
Instead, our legislators point the accusatory finger yet again toward those who share no kinship with the former slave owners.

Posted by at 6:12 AM on January 5

“The Mexicans under Zapata invaded across the Rio constantly which led to American troops returning the favor.

Bill.

Bill,
The attack that finally led to an American incursion into Mexico was the attack on the town of Columbus NM. led by Pancho Villa Doroteo Arango. Gen. John Pershing led that expedition but was never able to find Villa. US troops withdrew after almost a year.

Posted by at 6:08 AM on January 5

I have been a political refugee from Soviet N.J.(controlled always by Marxists). My high taxes I paid in N.J. during my career made me a ” slave ” to all minorities for their racial perks, disproportionate welfare checks, food stamps, Head Start school programs and high crime inflicted onto society, especially their white victims. Does this mean that I too will receive an apology soon ? Will the ” un-lawful makers stop this racial slavery along with my apology to all whites ?

Posted by Michigan patriot at 11:05 AM on January 4

Information is necessary to clear the air of emotional refuse. What I think is taking place is psychological warfare to destroy the white man from the inside. To teach him to despise himself.I believe there is goodness in all the shades of man but likewise there is error. The White man is somewhat of the promethian figure as I see it, that stole fire from the gods for the betterment of humanity and has been punished ever since.Unquestionably the ever evolving world brought on by the white techno mind has given rise to eco fears brutal warfare,.. and yes he had his slaves.Brutality and slavery however have always existed, Our Amerindians may well be relatives of the kahns that had no qualms about slaughtering lots of white boys, girls in Europe and leaving some thirty million descendents via forced wartime insemination(rape)Should we suit them? ask appology? Lincoln was amazed that Blacks for the most part didn’t want to return to the continent of their origin, where they could be first class citizens amongst their own rather than remain here with a race that kept them as slaves and would likely never see them as equals.But thats the way it was most Blacks prefered to remain here as second rate citizens amongst Whites than be first rate citizens` amongst Blacks…? THAT TELLS ME SOMETHING!!!! Not to mention it was their own race that enslaved them, and then cried foul when Whites outlawed slavery and no longer desired more slaves…

Posted by Petrarch at 2:22 AM on January 4

Forget slavery! The state needs to apologize for that stench that emanates around the New Jersey Turnpike. It also needs to apologize for having such a large number of lousy drivers.

Posted by GetBackJack at 10:34 PM on January 3

Charles B. Tiffany

Kissimmee, Florida

Posted by Charles B. Tiffany at 4:37 PM on January 3

Charles:

I don’t want you to think I’m picking on you based on prior posts, but how many of those thugs in your career have you represented and played a key role in releasing said thugs onto civilized society to wreak further havoc (as you have yourself admitted in past postings?) Moreover, what is the overriding profession of those “idiots” in the New Jersey legislature and elsewhere amongst our illustrious federal and state legislators?

You are forgiven for being a “johnny-come-lately” to the racially-conscious movement, but for Pete’s sake, quit defending the enemies. Wake up, Counselor! You are a welcome addition to our cause if you will quit making excuses for the ongoing genocide against Whites and rightfully assign blame where you KNOW it lies.

Posted by Voir Dire at 10:33 PM on January 3

Its difficult, treating your natural enemies as friends.

One of the difficulties is revealed here: an enemy, unlike a friend, will never forgive a wrong you have done to him. This stuff is worse than hopeless.

Posted by Evi etienne at 10:11 PM on January 3

The precedent has now been established in countless states, this northern one being the latest. It is an extremely dangerous one in the march towards complete dispossession, disenfranchisement, and displacement of Whites.

We have already had a majority of our Marxist Supreme Court justices deliver a stunning blow to our (heretofore unthinkable) private property rights so fundamental to our remaining liberties. It was simply another victory for the collectivists in their (surprisingly) short march through our institutions.

Make no mistake…These legal eagles (treasonous lawyers infesting our federal and state governments) are laying the legal groundwork for confiscation of private property and reparations for blacks. I’m sure White Zimbabweans and South Africans never saw it coming too. In fairness, black rule was foisted on them much as civil rights, the massive welfare state, and affirmative action laws (and now grounds for property confiscation) were foisted on Americans without their approval.

We at least have it in the record of who is responsible for these criminal, unforgiveable travesties and acts of treason against our Republic. Let us not forget.

Posted by Voir Dire at 8:51 PM on January 3

I followed the link provided by In-Like-Flynn. Thank you for posting it. I was bored by what I saw, but happy to see that the comment section was wide open. I left a calling card there, and, if I may suggest, that anyone who visits that site do the same.
Since most comments on most posts say things like “lol” or “right on!!!!1” etc, you will stand out by saying something thought provoking but respectful, and you have to be a little bit subtle. (make AmRen a passing detail, even though the actual intent of your post is to say AMREN.)

Say nothing that will bring opprobrium to this site.

Feigned semi-neutrality is the best voice to speak with. (remember, we are speaking to brainwashed people)

Say only things which serve to change the false image of us.

YouTube and sites like it get millions upon millions of viewers each day, and out of every million, there are probably at least 400,000 people who are at least responsive to our message, or in agreement, though in varying levels of awareness.

Out of that, an indeterminate number have even heard of AmRen, or are aware that there are places to go on the net to discuss these things. That is what we should work to change.

I would like to call to your attention also that the ADL, SPLC, NAACP, NCLR, etc all have multimillion dollar budgets to get their message out-and full staffs of people who do nothing but getting their message out 8 hours a day. Because we are outgunned in this way, it is for us to be wise and make use of a free megaphone which Google pays for. Now is the time that we really must push out into the hinterlands of cyberspace and call people to our cause.

Posted by Andersen at 6:52 PM on January 3

I read a book on the Korean war recently which gave instances of mostly black units hysterically retreating in cowardly disarray from Chinese attackers.

I’d like to see blacks apologize for their cowardice on the battlefield that caused the war to draw out longer, which caused more white troops to be killed.

I was a resident of New Jersey until 1995 when I moved to Florida. It was like escaping from a mental institution. Almost all of the newspapers are ultra-liberal. The news (?) on tv and the radio comes from New York stations. Needless to say, the people are brainwashed and clueless. Throw in the fact that there are large minorities catered to by the state and local governments and you have the recipe for corruption, nepotism, no-show jobs, and outright stealing. One of my neighbors, learning that I had voted for Reagan, said that it was a mortal sin and that my soul would burn forever in Hell. This latest bit of insanity is just pandering to the blacks. They are losing their jobs to the illegals. Maybe if we make nice to them, they won’t riot and burn down their decayed cities. Of course, they’ll keep voting for the Democrats who really don’t care about them anyway.Is it possible to trade New Jersey for Cancun ?

Posted by N. J. Moe at 5:42 PM on January 3

Maybe the AP writers and editors should go back and re-take high school history. They must have skipped the chapters on:

The War of 1812
Revolutionary War

The French and Indian War

Posted by GB at 6:27 AM on January 3

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

They probably DID take high school history; and therein lies the problem.

Posted by Greg at 5:41 PM on January 3

These people evidently never heard the expression “speak for yourself.” Just think - after Whites become an minority in the USA, the commission of crimes against ANY and ALL us will be considered a “civil right,” justified by the provocation of the perps by our own “history” of criminality, to which our own renegades gladly confess at no personal cost to themselves. Come to think of it, Blacks already view the robbing, raping and murdering of Whites as a civil right.

Posted by Bill Cutting at 5:33 PM on January 3

Whites have got to be the most accomodating race ever.

The accomodation is their undoing also.

Amen

I`m all for it. If they pass this law[?], black teenagers will feel better and stop jacking cars in Trenton. I was there on business and got jacked. AS I never travel unheeled I thought about shooting both; however it was rental car and I didn`t give a darn about the 1998 Nissan that they gave me instead
of the Lincoln I reserved.

The cops asked me if I had a gun after they found out I was from Florida. I said if I had a piece no thugs would jack me. As the cab was driving up, the older cop told me I needed a better shoulder holster, one that didn`t leave an image of a 38 sp when I walked around.

For a second I was freaked, and then I just laughed. He wasn`t so smart, it was a Walker 44 bull dog. Another reason I couldn`t drop the hammer, the oldest kid couldn`t have been 14.

Charles B. Tiffany

Kissimmee, Florida

Posted by Charles B. Tiffany at 4:37 PM on January 3

What do THEY want us to apologize for? Is it for setting them free into a world where they can’t compete without all sorts of special help (AA) and even then failing, failing, failing, time after time. Is this what they want us to appologize for?

Posted by Boxxer at 4:04 PM on January 3

Petrarch, it doesn’t surpise me that Africans would feel that way.

CNN Reports Genocide on a Grand Scale in Kenya:

And we have been hearing about genocide in the Sudan.

And there was genocidal war on a mass scale in Rwanda.

And genocide, war, starvation in Somalia. It goes on and on throughout most of Africa.

“We have proof of this in the reparations paid by modern generations ( not even born at the time of the misdeeds ) of Germany, Switzerland, and other Europeans for the jewish Holocaust.”

This is not true. IN fact, lately there was an attempt to step up the long hoped for opening of Swiss Bank records to further expose Nazi deposites made obstensilby from Jews during the period of the Holocaust. This was because the victims are quickly disappearing, due to old age and death and their descendants were seen as having far less legal ability to make claims based on what their parents and relatives personally suffered. Confiscated real estate is sometimes the exception. After the fall of communism, many citizens who had real estate confiscated by the state has had it returned, even to descendants. (I witnessed that policy personally while living in former Yugoslavia. I also had a close friend (American) who was offered the return of property in St. Petersburg, confiscated in 1920 that was taken from his family (he was a titled Irish noble whose family had once lived in Russia during the time of Catherine the Great (fleeing British oppression) and gained status there. He was contacted by the Russian government in 1992 and offered his land back). But riches in banks are different from land claims. The Swiss Banks refused to make records available and the move faltered and died. After the last of the Holocaust Survivors die, it will be virtually impossible to make a case for further claims by remaining family members. What blacks have done is copied the idea of making claims and carried them to the ridiculous point of going back four generations or more to make claims. Once the idea that whites living in the U.S. today, descendants of slave owning families or not - are responsible for the past - gained traction in our cultural preceptions, the logic that those people are also the ones who ought to pay inflated wages for labor done under the duress of slavery over 150 years ago appears somewhat logical to the politically/emotionally warped.

This leaves out the very real history of the effects of the industrial revolution that was having an even worse effect on poor whites in England and the North of the U.S. Whites lived in much worse conditions, were not valued even as much as blacks were as important stock. They were in a captivity worse than slavery. They lived in cramped, sunless dorms, worked 16 hour days in smelly, dirty, lightless factories or mines, and owed more than they could ever pay to the stores owned by the same companies that employed them. Children were worked to death and so were men and women. There was a loss of family connection worse than among black slaves. There has been no movement to seek reparations or even an apology for the treatment of poor whites by corporations bosses during the industrial revolution. Today, new slavers want to allow peasants into the U.S. to work for slave wages while the taxpayer supplements their living. You can’t blame liberals for all that is wrong today. There is plenty of blame to go around.

In my opinion whites have paid many times over for the condition of slavery in some colonies and later U.S. states before 1863. We paid during the time of slavery with the loss of moral authority. We paid during the Civil War or the War of Succession. I have ancestors from both sides of the conflict. The national crime wave after that war lasted at least 20 years. The crimes of the Carpetbaggers and the other injustices of the Reconstruction period hurt whites as well as blacks. Today, we see blacks in every postion in our society. One seems very confident and even likely to become the next president of the U.S. (Although I can’t beleieve that). They dominate by reputation - that is, intimidation in many professional and athletic sports (although not all by a long run). They seem to dominate the pop culture scene with the lowest denominator of bestial appeal. This, even though blacks only comprise 14% of the total U.S. population.

Those blacks who still cannot find a better way after 40 plus years of affirmitive action, cultural reverses that have favored blacks to the point that a black women appears on television every day and teaches many whites how to think and feel - all the white women they can devour, only have themselves to blame. In this, I agree with the comments of blacks like Bill Cosby.

Posted by Whiteplight at 2:29 PM on January 3

The article doesn’t even get the history aspect of it right. The only war fought on American soil? Hello? During the war of 1812 the British invaded and burned the federal capitol. They invaded and were defeated in LA. The instigated indian tribes to again wreak havoc on American frontiers.

I believe I recall correctly that these events were AFTER the formation of the United States.

Let’s address the continuing fallacy that the war between the States was over slavery. It was not. It was over a federal government attempting to tarrif to death the South, and dictate to the Southern states those things it had no right to do. That culiminated in the LEGAL secession of southern states, initially a few. When Ape Lincoln announced he was forming an army to invade the few states that had seceeded, and was prepared to violate the Constitution and various State sovereignty to do so, many more southern states seceeded. The war started because Lincoln invaded, unconstitutionally and illegally, sovereign States. His stated goal was to “preserve” the union, i.e. to by force prohibit any state from legally severing their ties to a federal tyranny. His actions proved the tyranny from which they separated. He, like everybody else at the time, viewed slaves as property. Nothing more. He was, in fact, more concerned with keeping the South agricultural slaves to the industrial north than he was in freeing the backbone of that agricultural economy he coveted.

Posted by Bill at 1:25 PM on January 3

What madness is next? How about changing the name of North Carolina and Georgia since that is what those states were called under slavery. How about descendants of slaveholders serving prison terms for the sins of their fathers. I don’t know who said this, but its is time “for all good men to state the obvious”

Posted by Virgil Tibbs at 1:06 PM on January 3

I was hoping they’d apologize for their role in the civil war.

I just love it.

Every state of the Union had lawful slavery prior to the Civil War. Some states that never joined the Confederacy continued to allow lawful slavery and were specifically exempted from Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation (Kentucky, Maryland, West Virginia, Missouri, Delaware, and parts of states already under Union control), which continued until permanently abolished by the Thirteenth Amendment.

The State of Maine likes to brag that it was the only state (at the time of the Civil War) that never had lawful slavery. In some respects this argument might be accepted, except that what is now the State of Maine was originally part of the State of Massachusetts. As part of Massachusetts, slavery was allowed in Maine until abolished by court decision in 1783. Maine did not become a separate state until the Missouri Compromise of 1820.

Slavery had existed throughout much of human history, even prehistory. There need be no apology for continuing a human institution that had persisted for thousands of years. What is warranted here are thanks and gratitude for having gone to great effort (and blood and treasure) to abolish slavery. No apology for slavery, but we will accept your high esteem for having ended the practice.

Posted by Don Reynolds at 11:53 AM on January 3

We need to remember that a huge number of whites are descended from people who were not in the US during the slave period, and many of them originate from countries that had nothing to do with slavery (Poland, Russia etc.)and whose peasant anscestors were lived in worse than slave-like conditions. Also, millions of blacks are not slave descendents either, being immigrants from Africa.

I would like to find the black slavery pimp prepared to change the course of history, if scientifically possible, by pressing a ‘magic’ button so that the trans-Atlantic slave trade had never happened. Of course, all slave descendents, never having been born, would vanish. The truth is, they may hang their heads in shame, but none of them would press that button.

Next point, if you’re alive today, then your ancestors were never wiped out. Yet billions have been wiped out through history, so who did the wiping out? Your ancestors. If you’re of African descent, your tribe will have annihilated and enslaved other tribes at some point - yes, ‘Happy are those who did not record their history, for they shall not be judged’.

Finally, it’s blacks inability to succeed that has them thrashing around for excuses and constantly dragging up the past. It’s only people who aren’t bright enough to succeed who constantly dredge history for explanations.

One last thing, it’s about time some loyal white released crime-scend photos of black on white violence. Those few lynching photos from the past, as unpleasant as they are, only serve to distort people’s views and justify relentless attacks on our people.

End of rant. Thank you Amren.

Posted by Eugene at 11:51 AM on January 3

If Whites are to be held collectively responsible for slavery, then at the very least blacks can be help collectively responsible for their criminals.

Posted by Englander at 11:04 AM on January 3

I see every one of these state “apologies” as incremental steps toward so-called reparations to blacks. This will undoubtedly come to fruition during Obama’s second term as president.

Posted by at 10:25 AM on January 3

Flash forward 50 years and I can see whites apologizing for luring illegal aliens across the desert to be used as pseudo slaves.

While I personally know no one who uses them, or wants them here, I foresee us being blamed for the harsh conditions(although not as harsh as the conditions from where they came) they were FORCED to endure here.

I do not believe in slavery but it is hard for me to believe that slavery in many instances was not a step up from the crack addicted, violent, and unstable lives many blacks lead today.

Posted by Uncle Mot at 9:34 AM on January 3

This creates a new legal concept: guilty by (loose) inheritance. It means assumming guilt for actions committed by one’s ancestors or their compatriots (or just people around them). What a moronic idea.

It’s actually an old legal concept called “corruption of blood” and is forbidden by the US Constitution. That never seems to stop liberals, though.

Posted by at 9:29 AM on January 3

The War of 1812
Revolutionary War

The French and Indian War

Posted by GB at 6:27 AM on January 3

Whenever I see these stories of pols who want to apolgize for slavery, they always have several things in common, they are Democrats, they are in an area w/heavy black population, will soon be up for reelection, and their wife or daughter hasn’t been jacked by some thug, YET.

Posted by abc at 5:32 AM on January 3

(sarcasm on)

But don’t you realize? Poverty causes slavery and slavery causes poverty, it’s a viscious circle! Nothing to do with low black IQ.

(sarcasm off)

Posted by In-Like-Flynn at 5:26 AM on January 3

Gentlemen,

This position is wrong for a variety of reasons. One of which is that it will PERPETUATE the “Blacks are the victims” syndrome that big media creates. Slavery is the best thing that ever happened to american blacks living today. They can get a free meal, an undeserved promotion and still feel that they are owed something. My descendents were christians in europe. Can I sue the city of Rome for past injuries? Lets do something about this!!

Posted by Josef Francois Duhesme at 2:59 AM on January 3

Whites did not invent slavery, they abolished slavery! If anything they should be thanking us for letting them stay! I sure would like to send them somewhere like Liberia and see how they cope. Perhaps we could do a reality show!

Posted by Vancouver Steve at 2:11 AM on January 3

I attended grad school at Rutgers, and believe me, none of this surprises me. The black radicals always have been a huge presence on campus and elsewhere in New Jersey. I haven’t lived in the state for a long time, and I’m glad. Hopefully, every white person across the nation can tell Assemblyman Payne where he can go stick it.

Posted by Carl at 2:03 AM on January 3

“New Jersey should immediately get some big clues and demand apologies for the people who forgot the sacrifices made by those who participated in the Underground Railroad in New Jersey.”

Sorry, in my original post I was so irate I meant to say “demand apologies FROM the people who forgot the sacrifices made by those who participated in the Underground Railroad in NJ.

However, I would also like to add that New Jersey should apologize for having an educational system that is so poor that these people obviously weren’t “schooled” on the sacrifices that were made for them. And, I am totally serious on not traveling anymore to states that participate in these “apologies” because it’s obvious that the whole truth is being ignored. There is no way I would be safe in a state so corrupt that it only told half-truths, and pandered to a small, ill-informed group.

Posted by at 1:48 AM on January 3

1808 is the year the US stopped importing slaves from Africa, why is that pushed under the rug and not made into news?

What should the US have to apologize for? I don’t Muslim countries not only not apologizing for actually initiating the African Slave trade, but still practice it - and yet so many blacks are running to be muslims!!!

What South American countries, where the biggest lot of Africans were sent to?

New Jersey is completely inverted! Instead of doing more to reduce crime in their state, they repeal the death sentence. Instead of pumping more project works projects, they waste their time to have meetings about some past event!

Posted by American Outside at 12:48 AM on January 3

New Jersey should immediately get some big clues and demand apologies for the people who forgot the sacrifices made by those who participated in the Underground Railroad in New Jersey. It’s also disgusting that the lives, limbs, eyes, hearing and peace of mind of hundreds of thousands of soldiers who fought in the Civil War are so casually forgotten. Are some blacks so deadened by the chanting in their “rap” music that these lives are meaningless to them? It really doesn’t seem like the concept of gratitude, especially for the sacrifices of others, has any value at all to some of them.

I am seriously considering boycotting travel to or through any state that has apologized for slavery. Why should I go where I, as a white, particularly as one who has never owned slaves, am going to be expected to apologize and feel remorseful for something I never did? And why, as the descendant of a Civil War Veteran, would I want to give any money, particularly my vacation money, to people like that?

Posted by at 12:47 AM on January 3

I once watched a documentary on TV about a black man (the first to circumnavigate the globe on a motor sailer or something)One of the more important parts of the trip was to visit where his ancestors had originated and talk to the people…. When finally there he asked them…What they thought of America and the slave trade? Their reply…..”We wish our ancestors had been taken because here we have nothing but misery and death”..or something to that affect…Slavery always has existed on all continents…IT was legal trade..sanctioned even by the bible… but it was whites that fought eachother over its destiny and finally outlawed it..

Posted by Petrarch at 12:45 AM on January 3

I want an apology for what they did to Detroit, Newark, Watts, DC and Atlanta. In addition, I want an apology for their civil rights movement and the foundation that it laid for the Mexivasion.

Posted by Ronduck at 12:35 AM on January 3

And now New Jersey has gone and overturned the death penalty. I wonder if they checked with the majority of residents first. Just another rung removed.

It seems to me that the United States have already made plenty of amends for slavery. At Fredericksburg, The Wilderness, Gaines Mill, Pea Ridge, Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, Bull Run … .

Plenty of ethnic groups have been enslaved at one time or another. Should the English apologize to the Irish? Should the Irish apologize to the English? After all, if Irishmen had not kidnapped St. Patrick and enslaved him in Ireland, that island might not have seen the glory of Christianity.

I wonder if the colonists ever considered the future of the Africans they brought to this continent. Or did they believe that slavery would exist forever?

Posted by John R. Kennedy at 10:51 PM on January 2

I agree 1000 percent with “Jus’ Me.” The People’s Republic of New Jersey is the last state in this country that has the right to pontificate about injustice and oppression.

About those “sky high” taxes, for example, perhaps politicians in NJ should issue some apologies to hard working taxpayers (mainly white people) who have already been doling out reparations to blacks in the form of adult welfare, medicaid, support for illegitimate children born out of wedlock (70 percent amongst blacks), construction and maintenence of the prison system and prolonged sustenance of its prisoners (mainly blacks) and a myriad of other unjust government programs.

Of course, let’s not forget so-called “free” public education that “African-Americans” feel they are entitled to at the hands of the white majority after “fo hundred years of slavery.” My father lives in Absecon, NJ, where his property tax is upwards of $6,000 per year, but there is no public high school in town. It turns out that a good portion of the money is “redistributed” from white taxpayers and shuffled over to fund the high school in the next town, Pleasantville (or “Not-so-Pleasantville” as my father calls it). Guess what racial group dominates Pleasantville High School? (Hint: It’s not white.)

Shouldn’t New Jersey aplogize to all the white people who have been systematically robbed to pay for the bogus educations of black children across the state? Shouldn’t black people also apologize for wasting the educational opportunities that have been provided at no cost to them for the last 75 years?

In light of these realities, white groveling before a group of implacable racist ingrates, who will never admit that the American Southern slavery of their ancestors was the greatest blessing that could have ever befallen them, is the true injustice.

How many of these oppressed blacks are ready to emigrate back to the motherland after their rich cultures were stripped from them during American slavery? Why aren’t they clamoring to return to sub-Saharan black-ruled hell-holes like Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Benin, Ghana, Togo, and Sudan, where SLAVERY IS STILL PRACTICED TODAY BY BLACKS ON OTHER BLACKS?

Why should white people apologize en masse for a slave industry that a minority of the white population made use of (you had to be wealthy to own slaves) and that was abolished 140 years ago while blacks have been holding slaves of their own people before, during, and after that time, right up to today?

Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll is a hero for what he said: “If slavery was the price that a modern American’s ancestors had to pay in order to make one an American, one should get down on one’s knees every single day and thank the Lord that such price was paid.”

My translation of what Carroll meant more specifically: Black people should be getting down on their knees every single day and thanking the Lord that they were brought to this country by the white man where they currently enjoy the highest standard of living, richest quality of life, and greatest freedoms by far than any black African nation in the world. Why should the white man apologize for taking blacks out of the living hell that is Africa?

GOD BLESS THIS MAN. GOD BLESS THIS MAN. May he live long and prosper for standing up to the black (and cowardly white) extortioners and guilt manipulators. Please let there be more like him to come forth in the future.

Posted by jz at 10:34 PM on January 2

I must disagree with the statement; “the vestiges of slavery are ever before African-American citizens, from the overt racism of hate groups to the subtle racism encountered when requesting health care, transacting business, buying a home, seeking quality public education and college admission, and enduring pretextual traffic stops and other indignities.”
In truth, the vestiges of slavery are ever before white Americans in the form of coerced feelings of GUILT, racial set-asides and quotas, forced integration, and mongrelization of our species.

Posted by David H. at 10:21 PM on January 2

i suppose it’s easier for those political prostitutes to dream up magnanimous causes and give gut wrenching speeches about the “evils of slavery” than to muster up a little integrity and stop pimping out the political offices to which they were elected. now, while everyone is slobbering over whether or not to apologize, they’ll be digging in our pockets with both hands. smoke and mirrors. bread and circuses. there’s never a guillotine around when you need one.

Posted by fred at 10:13 PM on January 2

Ironically, not long after they put the death penalty to rest in New Jersey, the lawmakers saw it fit to execute their collective common sense.

Posted by ZKR at 9:42 PM on January 2

Only an idiot whould apologize to someone who wasn’t harmed for something he didn’t do.

Case closed.

Posted by Robert Kelly at 9:33 PM on January 2

Maybe an African-American “civil rights leader” could step forward and demand the whites atone by removing some of their onerous gun laws.

They should appologize to all the people in NJ for allowing our cities to have the highest murder rates in the world,and for allowing drug gangs to sell drugs,like lemonade,openly day and night!

Posted by GB at 8:46 PM on January 2

From the article:

in New Jersey, “the vestiges of slavery are ever before African-American citizens, from the overt racism of hate groups to the subtle racism encountered when requesting health care, transacting business, buying a home, seeking quality public education and college admission…”

That’s funny. I’ve been to heavily-black areas of NJ like Newark — and I, a white guy, was the one who felt oppressed. Oppressed and IMPERILED.

What with Civil Rights, Political Correctness, Affirmative Action, Set-asides, quotas, and the rest of the reverse-racist legal apparatus now in place, whatever “racism” against blacks might still be in effect today must be “subtle” indeed.

So subtle as to be negligible.

So subtle as to be effectively NONEXISTENT.

As opposed to the NOT-so-subtle racism against whites by the Jena Six-on-One, the Knoxville Horror, the Zebra Killings, and the QUARTER-MILLION recorded black-on-white violent assaults since MLK made his “Dream” speech.

Posted by The Incredible Shrinking White Man at 8:37 PM on January 2

Whoa!

Interestingly enough, when it comes to illegal aliens the same group of idiots warns against “punishing children for crime committed by their parents”. If this is not hypocrisy then nothing is.

Posted by A Reader at 8:30 PM on January 2

This is so absurd and another example of how sick and getting sicker it is out there.

The only possible bright light out of such nonsense like this is an awakening on the part of whites, i.e. eventually the straw of white guilt will break the camel’s back and a reaction will happen. The obstacle to a white racial awakening is a)that it is to late and b)pathetic white Uncle Toms who get in the way and hinder the movement. Unfortunately there is a lot to gain in being a white sellout… see Bill and Hillary Clinton for an example of this.

Posted by S & GS at 8:28 PM on January 2

What a joke. There is no way this should be signed.

If anyone deserves an apology it is White Americans. The descendents of the people who brought the slaves to American shores owe us all an apology. We are now stuck with the aftermath of slavery in the form of freedom for a race of people who are not fit to live among civilized persons. That aftermath includes the demise of once great cities like Detroit, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles to name a few. It also includes the violent crimes committed by the descendents of those slaves.

I remember a shirt being sold on the internet that said “If we knew they were going to be this much trouble we would have picked our own damn cotton.”

Truer words were never spoken.

Posted by White and proud at 7:31 PM on January 2

Is life worth nothing in this day and age? Were not all the lives spent on the battlefield apology enough? These idiot legislatures think they are being magnanimous when they are being the ultimate in naive fools. When you apologize, you admit wrongdoing. You set a precedent and thats what they use to bleed you for every drop they can. For sure, it will never end. There’s no shortage of professional “victims” looking for a payout.

Posted by idareya at 7:29 PM on January 2

A really sloppy article!

“…Civil War, the only war to be fought on American soil.”

Not withstanding black crimes against Whites (which has been likened to low intensity guerrilla warfare by many), what about the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and The Mexican-American War?

“…the last northeast state to abolish slavery, doing so in 1846.” Actually the law was passed in 1804 for the gradual abolition of slavery, most of the slaves being free prior to 1846.

New Jersey, the last northeast state to abolish slavery? I always thought of Delaware as North and northeast, which had slavery during the civil war.

Dumbing down of American history…so what else is new?

Posted by Sissy White at 7:21 PM on January 2

Perhaps this would have more meaning if most normal people in NJ hadn’t moved out of the state long ago, lol.

””“The resolution, which is to be discussed in a state Assembly committee on Thursday, expresses “profound regret” for the state’s role in slavery and apologizes for “”“

- - - - -

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to express “profound regret” for the total corruption in New Jersey’s state government than to use diversionary tactics like this. Or maybe they could apologize for and figure out how to lower their sky-high taxes so that all the Jerseyites stop moving to my state to escape. Naaaaah, just keep putting symbolism over substance.

Posted by Jus' Me at 6:43 PM on January 2

“Democratic Assemblyman William Payne….said…’All that is being requested of New Jersey is to say three simple words: We are sorry.’” (from original article).

What a lie. The (original) article quotes part of the text of the resolution:

“”the vestiges of slavery are ever before African-American citizens, from the overt racism of hate groups to the subtle racism encountered when requesting health care, transacting business, buying a home, seeking quality public education and college admission, and enduring pretextual traffic stops and other indignities.”

This goes considerably beyond being just an apology. I wonder if the apologies that have been made by other states contained similar text.

It’s worth reading the original article just to see the full remarks (which are great) of Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll.

Posted by H. Dumpty at 6:29 PM on January 2

Blacks should do the apologizing to the White Americans. And pay us back for what they have stolen from us. Just think if their ancestors weren’t brought here, these same belly-aching Blacks would be living in Africa. Now that’s the only thing we should be sorry about, that they are here and not there.

” No state has offered reparations to slave descendants ( YET ), and New Jersey’s measure states that the resolution cannot be used in litigation. ”

Deceptive statement. Admission of guilt or remorse for action(s) is the basis for criminal prosecution(if the original perpetrator is not available,then co-conspirators by association, however tenuous, even removed by time, can be named as defendents ). This step is then the precursor for civil action, in which reparations can be enforced. We have proof of this in the reparations paid by modern generations ( not even born at the time of the misdeeds ) of Germany, Switzerland, and other Europeans for the jewish Holocaust. As always, media attention focused on this narrow issue makes people forget all about white slavery and indentureship throughout history. As with tobbaco litigation, all it takes is for a small group of lawyers with dogged determination and persistence, and they will indeed hit the big pay-off. White guilt is indeed an endless, bottomless well of riches.

Yep, that’d be our guys in Trenton. They couldn’t wait to let some other idiotic northern state make the apology before them. Chalk up another “first” for N.J.

Tom Iron…

Posted by Tom Iron at 6:22 PM on January 2

Blacks and white liberals certainly owe hundreds of thousands of white people (who are still alive by the way) reparations for the anti-white oppression that we’ve seen in the past 4 decades. Racist black thugs have killed, raped, car jacked, home invaded, racially cleansed, stole, and looted from us while their white shyster sidekicks said nothing. They said nothing and are a party to this genocide! I am so glad that we are beginning to yell from every mountaintop about this genocide and the cover-up. It continues and the horrific crimes only anger us further. We have civil and human rights and we have the right to protect ourselves. Be an activist for justice!

Posted by Elrey Jones at 6:10 PM on January 2

Legally, an apology is an admission of guilt. Can we expect those politicos who pass such apologies “on our behalf” in order to placate the violent “Blacks” to use their own money to “pay up”, or do they intend to tax the rest of us to get the funds?

Ronald