City Attorney: “I Had to Fight for My Life”

AR Articles on Minority-on-White Crime
Race, Crime, and Violence (Jul. 1999)
The NOI Connection (Dec. 2002)
The Wichita Massacre (Aug. 2002)
Hate Crimes 101 (Nov. 2000)
The Color of Death (Sep. 2000)
Search AmRen.com for Minority-on-White Crime
More news stories on Minority-on-White Crime
Steve Giegerich, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, February 9, 2008

Charles Lee “Cookie” Thornton entered the Kirkwood City Council chambers Thursday night with three targets in mind: Mayor Mike Swoboda, Public Works Director Ken Yost and City Attorney John Hessel.

Of that, Hessel — alive today because of a bold impulse to fight back — is absolutely certain.

The troubled relationship between Thornton and Kirkwood’s city attorney of 23 years can be traced to the role Hessel played in enforcing city codes. Thornton’s infractions ranged from illegal dumping to improper parking to failure to obtain licenses for his demolition business.

Over the years, Hessel saw Thornton becoming increasingly contentious. Outbursts at City Council meetings led to forcible removal from council chambers and Thornton’s arrest. The thrust of his objections — once confined to protest placards — became more personal and bitter.

Hessel said he and the city went out of the way to calm their nemesis. The city, Hessel said, even offered to waive the $20,000 in fines Thornton had amassed.

Thornton wouldn’t budge.

Last spring, Hessel said, Thornton moved the relationship to a new, more troubling level when he began picketing in front of Hessel’s downtown St. Louis law office and, also, before his home in Kirkwood.

Hessel, whose firm, Lewis, Rice & Fingersh, also represents the Post-Dispatch, responded by obtaining an order of protection barring Thornton from coming within 1,000 feet of his home or office.

As best Hessel can recall, Thornton last attended a council meeting six months ago. Then last month a federal judge rejected Thornton’s allegation that Kirkwood had violated his constitutional rights by physically removing and arresting him for disrupting meetings.

On Thursday night, Hessel, seated on the council dais, heard Thornton’s voice and looked at the same instant Thornton shot Kirkwood police Officer Tom Ballman point blank in the chest.

Hessel dropped below his seat as Thornton moved methodically along the dais. When he saw Swoboda fall he made a decision.

“I thought, ‘I’m not going to sit here and let you shoot me,’” he said.

At the rear of the chambers, Hessel and Thornton paused. Hessel saw police coming through a rear door.

“He was four feet away with both guns pointed at me. I said, ‘Cookie, don’t do this, don’t kill me. I’m not going to let you do this. I’m not going to let you kill me.’ I picked up a chair and threw it at him.”

The chair threw Thornton off balance long enough for Hessel to start back to the front of the room. On the way, he threw a second plastic chair and then another and another.

As Thornton gave chase, Hessel said, he eyed the two doors leading to the front of the chamber, trying to remember which was unlocked. He leaped over the body of Public Works Director Ken Yost.

“As I told my family last night, when he was pointing those guns at me, my life flashed before me. I thought I was going to die. I had to fight for my life,” he said.

Kirkwood

John Hessel

Email Steve Giegerich at sgiegerich@post-dispatch.com.

(Posted on February 11, 2008)

Comments

“ranged from illegal dumping to…” Okay. I`ll admit it. I`m an illegal dumper too. I have even gotten insomnia from daily dump runs at 5:00am. (seems to be some kind of safety at shift change thing) I do have some scruples though. One of them is that I never dump in the wild or throw out roadside trash. If I can`t find a dumpster, I don`t dump. Which brings me to an observation I have seen here on AMRen. The observation being that “diversity” destroys a sense of community. That people in diverse communities “hunker down” and don`t relate to others, even of their own kind.
Folks I can verify this as true. So true that I can count on it for emptying half a pickup truck of trash every day. I have a select “route” that includes the most “diverse” apartment complexes in my part of town. I hit their dumpsters and nobody ever questions me. I guess thats because half of the residents don`t speak English and the other half don`t belong here at all. So a White guy in a work shirt can do just about anything he wants without being challenged, even as the slag hits the bottom of the trash can. Driving away the other day I mused on how I could have gotten away with it for so long. I guess its because half the people don`t care and the other half don`t even work… I`m not proud about it and I`m NOT bragging. I do get a certain satisfaction from being able to gain the system for my own advantage like the rest of people in post-America seem intent on doing though…

Posted by TIm Mc Hugh at 6:16 PM on February 11

One quick question:

How many lives could’ve been saved if Hessel had had a pistol at his side instead of a few chairs? Only one life needed to be taken last week and it was the one of the perp.

Hessel saw the first White man die within feet of him. A concealed weapon he might have brandished would’ve saved the three other White men and the White woman from a terrifiyng death.

Posted by Annoyed In Illinois at 6:32 PM on February 11

Soon, all whites will have to carry just to be able to go to work, especially in heavily black cities suck as St. Louis. Imagine what Hessel would have done if he had been armed - if even 1/3 of the people present had been armed. I guess that would leave leftest gun control people in a man like Thornton’s sights.

Posted by Whiteplight at 6:42 PM on February 11

“He died without firing a single shot at Hessel, for reasons Hessel can’t explain.”

I can explain it. I suspect everyone who reads AmRen can explain it. Mr. Hessel is alive because he threw those chairs. Faced with the kooky Cookie, those chairs became for Mr. Hessel nothing less than “The Chairs of Life.”

To me, the moral of this story is so obvious as to be self-evident. But I’m an obvious kind of guy, so I’ll go ahead and state it anyway:

Resisting black misbehavior — as opposed to indulging it, “tolerating” it, or trying to theorize it away — greatly improves your chances of living to see your next birthday.

To Mr. Hessel, I offer both my condolences on the tragedy all around you; and my congratulations on living to tell. Although you may not think of yourself as a hero of the white race, you, Sir, are one nevertheless. May your brave example one day be taught to our white schoolchildren.

Posted by The Incredible Shrinking White Man at 6:49 PM on February 11

He acted like a normal man, he tried to fight back and then
he ran. In this day and age and political climate, such normal-
acy makes him a kind of hero. Most Whites would probably just sit
there and pretend it’s not really happening. This kind of “deer
caught in the headlights” reaction is probably explains the big
White guy in the pizza parlour who just let himself be beaten to
a pulp. It comes from soft living generally, and in particular
a spectator tv lifestyle. Self defence experts have to deal with
this issue all the time. Of course it’s in our evolutionary past:
the fawn freezes and hopes the wolf wont see it. But obviously it
is inappropriate once contact has been made or something has hit
the fan. Fight or flight is the rule then. Why do we do it? Be-
cause it works in social situations. Ignoring people is a valid
and sometimes the best option there. Experience people know the
difference between social and combat.

Posted by Freyr at 7:51 PM on February 11

Why is it that a policeman is allowed to carry a gun and the Mayor is not? We have already had a Judge killed here in Atlanta by a Black prisioner that escaped and took a police woman’s gun then went on a shooting spree. I think it’s obvious that the police can’t protect anyone, they can’t even protect themselves.

A long a the police have guns no one is safe because the criminals just take them away and use them on the unarmed civilians.

Posted by Daniel at 8:26 PM on February 11

To bad John wasn’t armed with a legal .45.
He wouldnt have had to run like a cornered rat, throwing chairs. In stead he could have finished the job himself.

Posted by bill at 8:37 PM on February 11

A STRONG argument in favor of carrying a handgun.

This is the same city attorney that offered to wipe away Cookie Thornton’s fines in arrears in exchange for Thornton dropping his suit against the city and also behaving at city meetings. This offer was made more than a year ago, yet “Cookie” refused, wanting to continue his “crusade.”

Posted by St. Louis CofCC Blogmeister at 9:10 PM on February 11

“The city, Hessel said, even offered to waive the $20,000 in fines Thornton had amassed.”

So the city offered a sweetheart deal.

He’ll be charged with a hate crime for throwing a chair at a black man…

Posted by DJK at 10:27 PM on February 11

Never let someone else decide whether you will live or die. You do that when you surrender, no matter how badly you are outnumbered. Never surrender. Attack and you may live. Surrender and you will surely die.

Posted by Memphomaniac at 10:50 PM on February 11

This pales compared to the number of Whites who murder Blacks every year.

Posted by Edward at 2:13 AM on February 12

Always fight back. Even if it is absolutely certain you will die. Always fight back.

“Rage, rage against the dying of the light,

Do not go gently into that night…”

Dylan Thomas

Posted by at 2:21 AM on February 12

A couple of things here.

God helps those who help who help themselves.

Sometimes, you just get lucky.

Tom Iron…

Posted by Tom Iron... at 5:38 AM on February 12

John now knows what is like to be a target for a nutcase with a gun.Perhaps this incident will make him realize that gunfree zones are death traps and he no longer wants to be the Eternal Unarmed Victim. He now has a chance to do something about it. If I were he, I would watch my six around the shooters brother.

Posted by Johnmcv at 8:51 AM on February 12

“This pales compared to the number of Whites who murder Blacks every year.

Posted by Edward at 2:13 AM on February 12”

You might need a bit more bait on that hook.

Posted by Danny at 12:16 PM on February 12

The moral of this story is to fight back with al you have, even if the only weapon is a plastic chair. The reason he was not shot is that cookie, like all bullies, goes for the easy target, not the one who fights back.

Posted by flyingtiger at 12:21 PM on February 12

“This pales compared to the number of Whites who murder Blacks every year.”

Source, please.

Posted by Cassiodorus at 12:40 PM on February 12

“As Hessel made it through the door, he heard a hail of gunfire, presumably the police shooting Thornton.

I and others here CAN explain it. “CooCoo” was so unnerved by the sight of a White man fighting back that he didn’t know how to proceed.

And a new troll…

“This pales compared to the number of Whites who murder Blacks every year.

Posted by Edward at 2:13 AM on February 12 “

Edward, if a black man tries to rape my daughter and I shoot him, it’s not murder. If he tries to break into my house or car, and fights me when I try to stop him, it’s not murder. If a gang of black “yoofs” surround my car at a stop light and bang on the hood demanding money while carrying baseball bats, and I shoot them, it’s not murder.

GET IT?

Posted by Wild Eyed Charlie at 1:31 PM on February 12

I’s real hard to find any remorse for the council members. The police officers-yes-they had no control over city policy. But the ones on the council were killed because of THEIR OWN liberalism. Many of these articles have stated how these council members always bent over backward trying to make “Cookie” [how cute!!!] happy, even turning down a request to have him banned from council meetings. Saying it would take away his right to free speech. I bet every one of them regretted THAT decision as he aimed his gun at them. This racist thug terrorized these people for YEARS,yet these White cowards did nothing! I think I’ll go to Detroit and go to their council meetings being loud and making threats just to see how THEY would handle the situation! All of us on this site know full well how they would handle it, and it wouldn’t take years and none of THEM would end up being shot to death!

Posted by Tom S at 1:46 PM on February 12

To Edward:

“This pales compared to the number of Whites who murder Blacks every year.”

You’re as WRONG as someone saying the Sun rises in the north and Christmas is in August. How can you have read this site everyday and believed such a falsehood?

It’s guys like you who will be the next victim of an animal like Thornton. Every source of murder stats will tell a man with a brain that the color of crime (especially murder) is jet black.

Until you can get the most basic interracial facts straight, Edward, you need to go to other websites that cater to minorities.

AmRen, on the other hand, is for an informed White populace.

Posted by Annoyed In Illinois at 1:55 PM on February 12

….”Thornton’s infractions ranged from illegal dumping to improper parking to failure to obtain licenses for his demolition business”……

Thornton, the narcissistic, self-absorbed adolescent in an adult body, would have fit in beautifully living in the City of DIEtroit and doing his “work”. City ordinances are routinely ignored in that third-world shooting gallery, and the citizens don’t care. Hell, neither do their politicians.

Always remember; rules are for whites, and don’t forget it!

Posted by Proactive at 2:08 PM on February 12

“around the shooters brother”
+++++++++ ++++++++ +++++++++
yes. the killer’s brother condoned his actions; and he’s killed one person already, in 1996. He’s clearly no more stable than his departed sibling, and therefore he is a problem. Look for blanket resignations from the surviving members of the City Council and from the city attorney. I would resign. Life’s too short.

“This pales compared to the number of Whites who murder Blacks every year.”

Posted by Edward at 2:13 AM on February 12

You, “Edward”, are not even worthy of a response except for this Beatitud, “Blessed is he who knows nothing and gives no evidence to the fact.”

I have warned my grandsons, who are 18 and 21, to stay away from Blacks in public settings. If more than one shows up, then you leave. Don’t talk with them, don ‘t interact with them. Leave. Because a significant percentage of them are vicious, and all of them hate white people. Black people are dangerous to white people. Period.

Posted by Celtic Sprirt at 5:24 PM on February 12

“This pales compared to the number of Whites who murder Blacks every year”.
Posted by Edward
Sir, you need to get a grip. Pick up the paper, read the police blog, read crime statistics (if you can read), watch tv other than MSN. Blacks have been murdering innocent Whites at an alarming rate ever since civil rights laws passed. Apparently, blacks don’t know what the word “civil” means. Blacks have declared war on Whites but don’t worry, not all Whites will go like sheep to the slaughter.
John

to Posted by Edward at 2:13 AM on February 12 :

We don’t deal in fantasy here, Edward, but rather in facts.

Instead of just jotting down a supposition, try supporting it with some actual factual data.

Here’s some actual cases involving blacks murdering whites which I’ll share with you. Try googling these:

-the Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom murders
-the Witchita Massacre
-the Zebra murders
-Bobby Cutts (murdered his pregnant white girlfriend/ mother of his 2 year old son)
-the DC snipers (aka Beltway snipers)

These were all heinous murders. Time and space constraints do not allow me to post all the many instances of murder and mayhem perpetrated by blacks on whites. Instead, let’s go straight to the source of crime statistics.

The Department of Justice statistics clearly show blacks are 7 times more likely than whites to commit homicide.
Their website also states:

From 1976 to 2005 —

86% of white victims were killed by whites
94% of black victims were killed by blacks

For 2005 alone, 8.8% of all murders were committed by blacks against whites, as compared to 3.2% committed by whites against blacks.

Posted by whatever at 7:54 PM on February 12

One more reason for “right to carry” laws; one more reason for the castle doctrine; one more reason not to have laws which make “gun free zones” like schools and court houses. Had the court been full of lawful citizens with concealed carry permits and Glocks, this murderer would not have stood a chance, perhaps he would not have even made the attempt.

Do you ever wonder why DC has such a high murder rate and the Northern Virginia suburbs, which are literally less than a mile away, have such low ones? Virginia is a right to carry state. DC has the most draconian gun control laws of any city in America(so far — right now the issue is before the courts).

The best defense against a murderous black felon is the 2nd amendment.

First things first.

Great idea to put his picture there so all of us can see what we’ll never or rarely see elsewhere. A photograph of a Brave White Man.

Now after saying that I don’t want to be a spoiler. But, there certainly could be a few reasons he did what he did as opposed to the others. But leaving that aside for now it’s time to simply acknowledge that - He did it!

Also, the posters who mentioned about the passive responses of some Whites were pretty much on target. If I had the link I’d put it here, but go see for yourself. Alexander Solzhenitsyn’s (spelling?) Harvard Address. Google it, then print it.

It should be handed out to every single college freshman. It’s only ten pages long and the speech was given, God take my breath away, in 1978! In it he talks about how, in so many words, a life of of total comfort is an unhealthy life. Who looking at America today could possibly deny that it?

Anyway, just about everything Solzhenitsyn talks about in that short speech has come true.

Happy reading.

Posted by Mal Evans at 9:52 PM on February 12

From 1976 to 2005 —

86% of white victims were killed by whites
94% of black victims were killed by blacks

Posted by whatever at 7:54 PM on February 12

The number for White on White would be lower when you factor out the Hispanic element. Which, as we all know, the FBI and other Alphabet Groups like to use to fudge the statistics against us. It also helps to lower the numbers for the Hispancs. Either way this approach is artificial and dishonest. It’s also ignoble and twisted. Of course this all applies to the number of “White” on Black murders which I am willing to bet is as high as 90% Hispanic “White”.

You do that and you lower our numbers considerably and take the whole thing one step closer to the truth.

Posted by Salty Dog at 6:58 AM on February 13

Posted by Salty Dog at 6:58 AM on February 13

Keep in mind that many of the white on black homicides were not MURDER, since they were acts of self defense: Either law enforcement or citizens.
Almost none of the black on white fit that category.

if only the Mayor or someone had a 9mm on his person i allways have a weapon close by if we(white people )are going to survive we must arm ourselves!!! my thoughts&prayers; are with the familes and the victims of the Kirkwood murders

Posted by Dirty Donnie in Ky. at 11:34 PM on February 13

I have to say, that I do think it’s a bit strange that there are so few posts to this article.

Here we have a White man who stood up to a Black man with a gun, who’s already killed others in the room.

I’m just surprised it didn’t elicit more responses.

Look at other articles, two, even three times more posts. But here….I don’t know. It just struck me as funny.

Posted by Mal Evans at 6:49 AM on February 14