Dog Back in Show

AR Articles on Racial Sensitivity
The Ways of Our People (Part II) (Oct. 1996)
A Certain Trumpet (May 1997)
Search AmRen.com for Racial Sensitivity
More news stories on Racial Sensitivity
Natalie Finn, E! News, February 19, 2008

For A&E;, one hit outweighed another.

The cable network confirmed Tuesday that production will resume on its number one reality series, Dog the Bounty Hunter, which was yanked from the schedule last year after the title star’s son released a taped phone conversation to the media featuring his father’s liberal use of the N-word.

After the eight-month-old recording showed up on the National Enquirer’s website, A&E; put the ratings winner on indefinite hiatus Oct. 31 and then canceled all scheduled repeats two days later.

Chapman immediately issued an apology, telling fans he was ashamed and willing to do whatever it took to repair the damage.

“I am deeply disappointed in myself for speaking out of anger to my son and using such a hateful term in a private phone conversation,” said the 55-year-old father of nine. “I was disappointed in his choice of a friend, not due to her race, but her character. However, I should have never used that term.”

“I now learned I’m not black at all, and I never did it out of hate,” Chapman said. “This sounds so stupid. I always did it out of love. Other white guys would be like, ‘Boy, who does Dog think he is? Dog can say that.’ And black guys would be with me and walk with me and respect me.

“So, I went too far with that.”

(Posted on February 20, 2008)

Comments

Glad to see the show going back on the air. However, was sorry to see Chapman groveling like a whipped dog (no pun intended) at the feet of “Reverend” Jackson and “Reverend” Sharpton for forgiveness that was not forthcoming.

Sick. Celebrity and money are the ultimate drugs. When you have them and then lose them you will do anything to get them back. Grovel, whine, beg, sell-out, anything! I thought “Dog” was supposed to be this straight-talking bad*ss who didn’t give a d@mn. Apparently not. He’s a dog alright, one of those yapping chihuahuas that run under the bed when you yell at it.

Posted by idareya at 6:10 PM on February 20

LoL not a big win, he should’ve never backed down. Then when A&E; came crawling back it would have been a thousand times more memorable. Whatever, hes not much a paragon of whiteness to begin with.

Posted by Stuck in No Mans Land at 6:26 PM on February 20

I’d be willing to bet that a black bounty hunter will be added to the cast as part of the agreement.

“In a tearful interview with Fox News’ Hannity & Colmes, Chapman added {snip} he always felt a kinship with black people, and that he used the N-word out of a sense of familiarity and closeness.”

Did anyone burst out laughing? It takes breathtaking shamelessness to give that excuse with a straight face.

Posted by O the Road to Mandalay at 7:42 PM on February 20

A&E; “relents”? Who’s kidding who?

That show was their biggest earner, and Dog was “coming back” no matter what. I’ll put money down that there will be a more diverse cast of “colorful” sidekicks this time around, sort of like Imus did with his new show.

I really could care less about Dog, but the real tragedy of this is the fact that he could have told everyone to go to hell, since it was an invasion of his privacy, but he caved in Michael Richards style anyway. But I have a strong feeling that if he stuck to the real issue, that his personal privacy was sold out by his traitorous offspring, and being shamelessly exploited by the media, there would have never been a comeback - he would have never left.

Posted by ZKR at 8:08 PM on February 20

Many of us believe he hasn’t grovelled and debased himself enough. Proper forgiveness can’t be expected from the black community unless he screams, begs (Oh, right, he’s already done that)falls to his knees, sobbing hysterically, while he hugs Jesse and Al around their legs, screaming pitifully that he needs their forgiveness.

Wait a minute, I just read some more of his lamentations about what a crud he thinks himself to be and about his contact with Al and Jesse, so I guess the above symbolically has already been accomplished.

Now, I guess he expects to go on to make other episodes of his T.V. show, which is based on what a real two-fisted bad guy he is.

Somehow, though, I get the impression that he just won’t come across the same way.

Has he offered to adopt an African yet? Or how about donating half his earnings to the Bloods and Crips? Is he working for free on the Obama campaign?

Won’t an episode or two of his show be about finding a new black girlfriend for his son, who he calls “daughter?”

Posted by ice at 9:20 PM on February 20

“”On the tape, Duane “Dog” Chapman could be heard telling his son, Tucker, that he was uncomfortable having Tucker’s black girlfriend around, “because we use the word n — er sometimes here. I’m not going to take any chance ever in life of losing everything I’ve worked for 30 years because some drunken n — er heard us say n — er and turned us into the Enquirer magazine.”

(Posted on February 20, 2008)”“

As that is exactly what almost happened to him (and may yet still happen), then I guess he was entirely justified in the request he made of his son.

The fact that the series will continue to air however, should not be mistaken for a victory by the forces of decency. A&E; used to stand for “Arts and Entertainment”; it broadcast BBC costume dramas, and the occasional middle-brow quasi art-house flick. Now they show “reality” shows about bounty-hunters and tattoo artists. Generally, they purvey slightly expurgated versions of the kind of raunchy fare shown on HBO.

Posted by CSinAL at 10:56 PM on February 20

Seriously?

Do we really care about this mullet. This guy is a train wreck waiting to happen. A&E; must be desperate.

Throw this guy under the bus (or trailer)…not because he used the “N” word, just because he’s an embarrassment to the human race.

Posted by Virginian at 11:12 PM on February 20

“Dog” Chapman proved to be a spineless multicultural misfit, grovelling as he did before the “thought police”. If he was a tenth as tough as he pretends to be on television, he’d have told his accusers, “Yeah, I used the N word-so what? I’ll stop using it when blacks themselves stop using it. Until then, get lost, while I whip the snot out of my back-stabbing son!”. With his jacked-up mullet, indian “dream catcher” earrings, multiple tatoos and body piercings, and professed desire to be buried in a slave cemetery, he’s just another multicultural liberal phony ensnared by the political correctness he usually endorses. “Hoisted on his own petard”, as Shakespeare said. (just like the Clintons-see what years of pandering to blacks has gotten them.)With such a role model for a father, is it any wonder that his son had a penchant for black girlfriends? You won’t catch me watching this poster child for the decline of white men.

Posted by Roscoe P. Coltrane at 12:45 AM on February 21

Isn’t it illegal to tape a PRIVATE PHONE CONVERSATION without the other person’s knowledge or consent?

Posted by at 7:54 AM on February 21

The bounty hunter certainly can’t plead ignorance. That he didn’t know using the N-word could be a career crusher. The scandle here is about using the N-word, but I wonder how many ‘respectable’ publications have referred to Duane Chapman using the, ‘R-word’, Redneck?

The respectable use the term redneck, a racial slur, in order to prove to eveyone else how enlightened they are.

Posted by LHathaway at 10:32 AM on February 21

To me Dwayne (The Poodle) Chapman was an embarrassment to watch while he was doing the talk show circuit crying and groveling trying to save his lucrative TV career from the wrath of the self appointed crusaders of the b%$#K race. I assume he will suffer the same fate as the wrinkled up, pitiful old fart Don Imus who is forced to set at a desk for four hours each weekday looking and paying a b#@$k sportscaster that doesn’t do the sports (Warner Wolf? does) and, A mulatto comedian that doesn’t know any jokes or have a pittance of a sense of humor. I see Chapman(The Poodle) in his new show going after the bad guys with his new b$#@k sidekick and fighting racial injustice wherever it shows its hateful head!!!!

I have no respect for Chapman or Imus and regret they didn’t stand up for themselves by saying “Those about to die salute you” instead of “Don’t shoot me I’m just the piano player”.

I don’t watch Imus and I wont watch THE POODLE!!!!!

Posted by Right of Atilla the Hun at 2:05 PM on February 21

He never should have grovelled in the first place. He was the victim, betrayed by his son who tapes a private conversation no one else was ever supposed to hear. He should have been angry and indignant instead of grovelling. Nobody has any guts to stand up to the race-industry bullies.

Well if Ice T and Ice Cube and Al Sharpton can have their own shows despite FAR WORSE racist comments THEY have made, then I see no problem with the Dog continuing with his.

I was never able to watch the show - couldn’t get past the clown outfits that he & the female both wear. I find it impossible to take people seriously when they work so hard to look like idiots. Does the job of bounty hunter require goofy outfits? Is that part of blending in?

Posted by WaitNow at 9:40 PM on February 21

There are few of us posters who use our real names, because we need to remain employed. It’s corrosive to the spirit to pretend to acquiesce in the official lies of the regime, but at least we can plead honest fear of the Thought Police. Just like the East German Stasi, they have learned to control not by firing squads, but by withholding privileges, such as a decent job. But what is the point of making millions, like these show biz characters do, when you can’t even afford honor, or the freedom to say what you believe?

Posted by Schoolteacher at 9:00 PM on February 22

Dog Chapman’s son (the one with all the Tattoos) is married to a Pacific Islander, who he has Pacific Islander looking children with.

Dog Chapman knows no racial loyalty. His usage of the N-word was derived from his stint in Prison.

Posted by Richard at 10:30 PM on February 22

WaitNow:

I often thought the same thing. I would think this guy and his group would stick out like a sore thumb, to say nothing of the accompanying camera-crew. I mean how is he supposed to be subtle and discreet when they should be able to see the guy coming a mile away? It is hard to take the guy seriously.

Posted by at 12:58 AM on February 23

Chapman should have used different terms, other than the N-word. That was his problem.

Posted by Sopprano Fan at 11:22 AM on February 26

Not good enough, A&E.; I think they owe Mr. Dog a huge settlement. Let’s say back pay, plus damages, plus interest at 29.9%.

Posted by Michael C. Scott at 1:03 PM on March 3